Showing 947 results

Authority record
Corporate body

Kilburn Brothers

  • 500033342
  • Corporate body
  • 1865-1909

Kilburn Brothers is a American and Canadian photography studio and publisher founded by Benjamin and Edward Kilburn in 1865. In 1867 the company published a series of 30 views of Montreal and Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Benjamin made all the negatives for the company until 1867. In 1877 Edward Kilburn retired leaving Benjamin to run the company until 1909.

Keystone View Company

  • 500450247
  • Corporate body
  • 1892-1963

Founded by B.L. Singly in Meadville, Pennsylvania in 1892 as a photographic image producer and distributor. In 1930, Keystone View Company reached its height of popularity but was purchased in 1963 by Mast Development Company when lantern slides became obsolete.

J. Russell & Sons

  • Corporate body
  • 1863-1903

James Russell operated a photography studio in Chichester, England with in sons from approximately 1863 to 1903.

Cunningham, A.M.

  • Corporate body
  • 1902-1924

Alexander McKenzie Cunningham operated a photography studio that was located at 3 James Street East, Hamilton, Ontario. They specialized in the platinum photographic process.

Bongard & Taylor

  • Corporate body

Bongard & Taylor was a photography studio located in Oshawa, Ontario.

Broadway Photo. Co.

  • Corporate body
  • ca. 1910

Broadway Photo. Co. was a photography studio located at 1150 Broadway, Cleveland, Ohio.

E. R. Owen

  • Corporate body

E. R. Owen was a photography studio located in Red Bud, Illinois.

Frederick W. Lyonde

  • Corporate body
  • 1897-1921

Frederick William Lyonde operated a photography studio at Yonge and Queen Streets, Toronto, Ontario from 1897-1925. In 1921, he partnered with his sons and renamed the studio "Frederick William Lyonde and His Sons".

George C. Nutter, Photographer

  • Corporate body

Photographer located in Belleville, New Hampshire during the late nineteenth century.

Miss Margaret A. Hess

  • Corporate body
  • 1874-1886

Miss Margaret A. Hess operated a photography studio in Hamilton, Ontario from 1874 to 1886.

Owen

  • Corporate body

Smith

  • Corporate body
  • 1884-1925?

The Smith photography studio, located in Galt, Ontario, originated as a partnership between Thomas H. and William Smith in 1884. In 1888, William T. left the partnership and Thomas H. continued to operate the studio throughout 1925.

Stewart's Studio

  • Corporate body
  • ca. 1860-1910

Stewart's Studio was a photography studio that operated in West Baden Springs during the late nineteenth century.

Wallis

  • Corporate body

Wilber

  • Corporate body

Dame, William H.

  • Corporate body
  • 1901-1914

William H. Dame operated a photography studio that was located at 373 Dovercourt Road, Toronto. From 1907-1909 he operated with his son, and the studio was coherently named William H. Dame & Son.

International Development Week Committee

  • Corporate body

1993-1999: International Development Week organized by the International Development Week Planning Committte 2000-2001: International Week organized by the International Week Committee 2002-2004: No material/information available for annual event 2005: International Education Week organized by International Week Committee

The Wellesley Hospital School of Nursing

  • Corporate body
  • 1912-1974

The Wellesley Hospital School of Nursing was founded in 1912, with the opening of the Wellesley Hospital. It graduated its first class of nurses in 1915. From the beginning, the Wellesley Hospital depended upon its student nurses - they provided the majority of nursing care for the patients in the early years of the hospital. Because of the small size on the Hospital (72 beds), the Nursing students did training at a variety of different hospitals to augment their training. One such relationship was with the Manhatten Maternity Hospital where they were sent for obstetrical training. This relationship lasted from 1915 to 1919 when Wellesley's obstetrical unit was large enough for adequate training of its own nurses. In 1923 the Ontario government registered the Wellesley school, along with other larger schools in Toronto. This meant the Wellesley Nurses could apply for qualification of Registered Nurse.

The school was run by Elisabeth Grace Flaws. She was also the Hospital Superintendent. This dual position would continue until 1967, when the roles were split into 2 positions. Miss Flaws stayed in this position until 1926. After her retirement, her position was filled by numerous women including Ida B. Smith (1926-1928), Jane McAfee, and Gladys A. Brandt. In 1929, Gertrude Ross was appointed superintendent. She worked in this role until 1937, when she was replaced by Elsie K. Jones. Miss Jones was superindendent until 1964, when she was succeeded by E. Dorothy (Dot) Arnot, who had acted as her assistant from 1948 until 1964. In 1967, the role was divided into 2 positions. Dot Arnot became Assistant Administrator (nursing and food services) and Dorothy L. Eden became director of Nursing Education.

The school's curriculum was subject to change as well. There were 3 major changes in curriculum. The first occurred in 1942, when nursing theory and nursing practice were correlated. The second change occurred in 1956 when the 2 year course changed to a 2 year academic program plus one year internship on the wards. The final change occurred in 1970 when the course was made 2 years with the third year interns were paid for their work and able to live outside of the Nursing residence.

The Nursing school remained in operation until 1973 when it amalgameted with Ryerson Polytechnical Institute School of Nursing. The Wellesley satellite site remained open until 1975, when the last class of Wellesley nurses graduated.

Rochester Optical Department of the Eastman Kodak Company

  • Corporate body
  • 1903-1922

The Rochester Optical company was founded in 1883 by W.F. Carlton when he acquired the camera and dry plate manufacturing business of William. H. Walker and company. The Rochester Optical Company was best known for the Premo view camera, a product that continued to be manufactured after the company was taken over by Kodak in 1903, following an unsuccessful bid by five camera companies to merge into the Rochester Optical and Camera Company. The company was re-named the Rochester Optical Company. After 1907, the company was known as the Rochester Optical Division of the Eastman Kodak Company, changing again to the Rochester Optical Department of the Eastman Kodak Company in 1918.

Source: Kingslake, R. (1974). A history of the Rochester, NY camera and lens companies. Photographic Historical Society. Retrieved from: http://www.nwmangum.com/Kodak/Rochester.html

Frederick W. Lyonde & Sons

  • Corporate body
  • 1921-[19--]

Frederick William Lyonde operated a photography studio at Yonge and Queen Streets, Toronto, Ontario from 1897-1925. In 1921, he partnered with his sons and renamed the studio "Frederick William Lyonde and His Sons".

Romaszkiewicz

  • Corporate body
  • 1898-1914

Ignacy Romaszkiewicz, born in Lithuania in 1874, moved to the United States in 1896 where he learned the trade of a photographer. In 1898 he set up his own studio at 1017 Broadway, Buffalo, New York where he photographer many of the city's elite, including priests, businessmen and visiting dignitaries. In 1914 he sold his studio to Walter Grzelak.

Kodak Canada Inc.

  • Corporate body
  • 1900-

Canadian Kodak Ltd., which became Kodak Canada Inc. in 1979, manufactured photographic films, papers and equipment for over a century in Toronto, Ontario. The company formed the Canadian branch of the successful Eastman Kodak Company, and officially opened its doors in 1900 at 41 Colborne Street under the direction of John G. Palmer. The company expanded and moved to 588 King Street West in 1908, but already plans were underway for an expansive complex to the north of the city. In 1912, Canadian Kodak purchased 25 acres of farmland near Weston Road and Eglinton Avenue to build a major manufacturing facility known as Kodak Heights. By 1925, there were over 900 employees working in seven buildings at Kodak Heights. Over the years, the company earned a reputation for having a cooperative and supportive relationship with its employees, adopting many of the successful practices in place at Eastman Kodak in Rochester, New York. In 1940, an Employee's Building was constructed to accommodate the activities of the flourishing Recreation Club, the Department Mangers' Club, and the Kodak Heights Camera Club. During the 1990s, the rise of digital media began to have a serious impact on manufacturing programs at Kodak facilities around the world, causing the Eastman Kodak Company to reduce its production of traditional print photography by one third globally. The company chose to focus on digital products, which did not require the extensive facilities used in the production of traditional photographic materials. On December 9, 2004, Kodak Canada Ltd. informed its employees that manufacturing operations in traditional film products would cease entirely at Kodak Heights. The company's facility faced the same fate as many of its foreign counterparts in England, Australia and France, being completely abandoned and demolished shortly after closure in 2005. Kodak Canada still maintains a sales and support office in downtown Toronto, while the manufacture of traditional photographic chemistry has returned to Rochester.

Belcourt & Blair

  • Corporate body

Founded by Victor Philip Belcourt and D. L. Blair in 1948.

Victor Philip Belcourt (1908-1965) was born in Ottawa on 26 May 1908 and educated at the University of Ottawa (in 1918-25) and at Mount St. Louis College in Montreal (in 1925-27). He later worked as a draftsman for Noffke & Sylvester in 1927-28. After completing his formal education in architecture at the Ecole des Beaux Arts in Montreal in 1928-34 he traveled to London, England where he worked as assistant to Sir John J. Burnet. On returning to Ottawa he was briefly in partnership with Roper & Morin (in 1939-40), then served with the Canadian Navy during WWII. In 1948 he formed a new partnership with D.L. Blair (as Belcourt & Blair) and remained active in this Ottawa firm until his death on 7 April 1965.

Affleck, Desbarats, Dimakopoulos, Lebensold and Sise

  • Corporate body
  • 1953-1969

The company was founded in 1953 in Montréal. A partnership between three McGill University School of Architecture graduates - Raymond Tait Affleck (1922-1989), Guy Desbarats (1925-2003) and Jean Michaud (1919-1995) - and two McGill architecture professors - Fred David Lebensold (1917-1985) and, joining in 1954, Hazen Edward Sise (1906-1974). and Dimitri Dimakopoulos (1929-1995), another McGill School of Architecture graduate, began working with the group. D. Dimakopoulos became a full partner in 1957. Following the departure of Jean Michaud in 1959, the firm became Affleck, Desbarats, Dimakopoulos, Lebensold, Sise (ADDLS) for the next decade. In 1968, Hazen Sise retired, Dimitri Dimakopoulos left to open his own office, and Guy Desbarats departed to found and head the University of Montréal's Faculté de l'aménagement. In 1970, Ray Affleck, Fred Lebensold and Arthur Boyd Nichol (who had been an associate in the previous firm since 1956) regrouped and founded ARCOP Associates; designed churches, municipal and provincial government buildings, exhibition pavilions, multiple-dwelling residential buildings, cultural buildings, commercial and industrial buildings, and educational buildings.

The Macmillan Company of Canada Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1905-1999

The Canadian branch of the English Macmillan Company was founded on 26 December 1905 as the Macmillan Company of Canada Ltd., also called Macmillan of Canada and after July 1995, Macmillan Canada. Earlier documents pertain to the Morang Education Co. Ltd., purchased by Macmillan in 1912. The English owners of the Canadian branch sold the company to Maclean-Hunter Limited in 1973. In 1980 Macmillan of Canada was sold to Gage Publishing, later merged into the Canadian Publishing Corporation. In 1999 Macmillan Canada became an imprint of CDG Books (founded in December 1998). In April 2002 CDG Books was purchased by John Wiley & Sons, and Macmillan Canada ceased as an imprint and a publishing house.

Arcan

  • Corporate body

Lovell and Gibson

  • Corporate body
  • 1844-

John Lovell, printer and publisher, was born August 4, 1810 in Ireland. John Lovell’s family farmed near Bandon until 1820 when they immigrated to Lower Canada and took up a farm near Montreal. In 1823 he was apprenticed to the printer Edward Vernon Sparhawk, owner and editor of the Canadian Times and Weekly Literary and Political Recorder of Montreal. Lovell found employment at the Montreal Gazette from 1824 and then worked at Quebec. In 1832 he returned to Montreal where he became foreman in the printing office of L’Ami du peuple, de l’ordre et des lois. By 1836 he was in partnership with Donald McDonald, and that year they established a tory newspaper, the Montreal Daily Transcript, the first penny paper in Lower Canada. The firm of Lovell and McDonald did job, newspaper, and book printing. In April 1838 Lovell and McDonald dissolved their partnership, McDonald retaining the Montreal Daily Transcript while Lovell continued as a job printer. In 1844 he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law John Gibson. The business, located on Rue Saint-Nicolas, expanded. In 1843 Lovell had acquired a locally manufactured press. Four years later he imported the first steam-press into Lower Canada. In 1850 John Gibson passes away. In addition to publishing literary periodicals Lovell and Gibson printed or published an increasing number of titles on a broadening range of subjects.
In 1850, when the Province of Canada reorganized its printing arrangements, Lovell won a ten-year contract. The government’s practice of moving its seat between Montreal, Toronto, and Quebec obliged Lovell to establish offices in those places. By 1851 Lovell and Gibson, as the firm was still called despite Gibson’s death, had an establishment in Toronto, where Lovell had temporarily taken up residence to supervise the government contract. That year, 41 employees worked there, in addition to apprentices, and 30 maintained operations in Montreal. By 1853 he was operating a Quebec office, Lovell and Lamoureux, in partnership with Pierre Lamoureux. In 1866 Lovell’s Canadian operations had been employing 150 people and running 12 steam-presses. After 1872, although the Montreal office continued to print Lovell’s own publications and those of other publishers, the printing of best-sellers was done increasingly by the Lake Champlain Press at Rouses Point. It served as the starting-point for Lovell’s eldest son, John Wurtele. In 1876, with his father and Adam, he established Lovell, Adam and Company in New York to reprint British copyrights in inexpensive editions. They were soon joined by Francis L. Wesson, Lovell’s son-in-law and a son of the Massachusetts gun manufacturer; the firm then became Lovell, Adam, Wesson and Company. John Wurtele left the firm to establish his own house. In 1874 Lovell formed the Lovell Printing and Publishing Company. In 1884 Lovell Printing and Publishing Company had become John Lovell and Son. The following year fire destroyed the original frame office of 1842, and it was replaced by a stone building. Between 1888 and 1890 the firm embarked on a Canadian fiction series that eventually embraced 60 titles published in monthly instalments. By 1893, however, it was concentrating on textbooks. John Lovell died on 1 July 1893.

Falk, B.J.

  • Corporate body

A photography studio was located at 949 Broadway, N.Y.

J.H. Dallmeyer Ltd.

  • Corporate body

An optical instrument and lens manufacurer, founded 1850 by John Henry Dallmayer and continued after his death in 1883 by his son Thomas Rudolphus Dallmeyer (who patented the telephoto lens in 1891). The company was under the auspices of several coprorations, including Watsham's Electro-Optics Limited (1987-1988), Omitec Electro-Optics Limited (1988-1997) & Avimo Optical Imaging Limited (1997-2001) and is currently part of Thales Optical Imaging Limited - Thales Optics Group «

Glaverbel Industries

  • Corporate body
  • 1961-2002

In 1961 the merger of the two largest producers of flat glass in Belgium, “Glaces et Verres” (Glaver S.A.) and “Union des Verreries Mécaniques Belges” (Univerbel S.A.) to form Glaverbel. In 1965, Glaverbel opened the first float glass line in continental Europe, at Moustier (Belgium). In 1972 the French company BSN (Danone) took control of Glaverbel and integrated the Belgian company in its own flat glass division. In 1981, BSN shed its flat glass activities and Glaverbel was acquired by Asahi Glass Co. Ltd. (Japan). In 1998, Glaverbel acquired the European flat glass activities of PPG Glass Industries, mainly located in France and Italy. In 2002, as part of its worldwide reorganisation AGC took full control of Glaverbel, which was delisted from the stock exchange. In 2007, AGC adopted a single name for all its companies around the world, and so Glaverbel became AGC Flat Glass Europe, and in 2010, AGC Glass Europe.

George and Moorhouse

  • Corporate body

Architecture firm founded by Walter Norwood Moorhouse (1884-1977) and Allan George (1873-1961) in 1913. Their business was interrupted by WWI, and after returning to Canada from service with the Canadian Army during WWI. Moorhouse persuaded his business partner to invite Cecil C. King to join them in the partnership in late 1919. Both Moorhouse and King had already collaborated on the design of Glenmount Church in 1914, and their new firm of George, Moorhouse & King was remarkably prolific, remaining active until 1935. After the departure of King in 1935 the firm of George & Moorhouse continued to carry out major projects until 1943. Moorhouse retired and later died at Oakville, Ont. on 25 January 1977.

Durrer, W.S.

  • Corporate body
  • 1896-1902

Walter S. Durrer operated a photographic portrait studio under his own name, located in Formosa, Ontario.

Johnson & Co.

  • Corporate body
  • 1891-1895

Johnson & Co. was a photography studio that operated in Toronto, Ontario.

The Royal Photo Co.

  • Corporate body
  • [1890]

Photography studio located at 12 Shacklewell Lane, Kingsland, N.E. Kingsland was a small settlement in North East London, now ward of Queensbridge within the Borough of Hackney. The village was adopted as the Dalston Junction with the arrival of the North London Railway in 1865 and gradually became known by the name of the station.

Lee Photography

  • Corporate body
  • 1883-1970

Lee Photography was a studio in the city of Oconto, Wisconsin owned by Wilbur M. Lee. It was open from 1883-1970.

Pittaway & Jarvis

  • Corporate body

Pittaway & Jarvis was a photography studio located in Ottawa, Ontario, that was run by Samuel J. Jarvis and Alfred Pittaway. It opened in 1882 and ran until 1890 when the partnership split and the two became competitors. In 1907 the pair reunited and reopened the studio, which remained open until Pittaway's retirement in 1928

Brien, Anthole

  • Corporate body
  • 1901-1936

Anthole Brien operated a photography studio in Montreal, Quebec, located on Notre Dame W.

Johnson Brothers

  • Corporate body
  • [1895-1925]

The Johnson Brothers operated a photography studio that was located in Indian Head, Saskatchewan during the early twentieth century.

Flagg & Plummer

  • Corporate body
  • [ca. 1895-1925]

The Flagg & Plummer gallery was a portrait studio that operated in Lewiston, Maine during the early 20th century.

Horace E. Hunt

  • Corporate body

Horace E. Hunt was a photography studio located in Denver Colorado.

J.P. Hearn

  • Corporate body

J.P. Hearn operated a photography studio that was located at 114 W. State Street, Olean, N.Y. and advertised in the Williams' Duplex Directory of Olean, N.Y. For 1911 and 1912.

Brown

  • Corporate body

A photography studio circa the late nineteenth century located in Sterling Illinois.

F. C. Barnum

  • Corporate body

A photography studio located in Morrison Illinois.

F. G. Lewis

  • Corporate body
  • 1867-1876

New Dominion Fine Art Gallery, a studio operated by Francis G. Lewis from 1867 to 1876, was located at the west side of Thames Street in Ingersoll, Ontario.

Doebereiner, P.

  • Corporate body
  • 1865-1885

P. Doebereiner was an Ontario photographer who operated out of Caledonia and was active from 1865 to 1885.

Williams & Williams Arcade Studio

  • Corporate body

Williams & Williams was a photography studio that began operating during the late 1800s located in Cardiff, Wales.

F.C.D. Hure

  • Corporate body

Artist, Portrait & Landscape Photographer with photography studio that was located in Shepton Mallet, England.

The Notman Studio

  • Corporate body
  • 1869-1923

Located in Halifax, Nova Scotia and managed by William Hebb until 1876, when Oliver M. Hill took over the position.

Turner and Drinkwater

  • Corporate body

Turner and Drinkwater were photographers who operated a studio by the same name in Hull, Quebec during the late nineteenth century.

Leavy's Art Gallery

  • Corporate body

Leavy's Art Gallery, located in New Castle, Pensylvania, featured a photography studio and operated during the late nineteenth century.

Fenner & Co.

  • Corporate body

Fenner & Co. was a photography studio that operated in Toronto, Ontario from 1867 to 1874.

S. Porter

  • Corporate body

S. Porter, Artist & Photographer, had a photography studio located at St. Paul's Street in Chippenham, England during the late nineteenth century.

Rice Studio

  • Corporate body
  • 1865-1948

James Rice operated the Rice Studio in Montreal, Quebec from approximately 1901-1948. He was known for his photographs of the Stanley Cup and his portraits of the hockey players of the Montreal Canadiens. His grandfather Moses P. Rice founded the studio in Washington D.C. in 1865.

J.L. Jones Army Photographer

  • Corporate body

J.L. Jones Army Photographer was located at 10 Fabrique Street, Quebec City, Quebec.

Results 1 to 100 of 947