- University Name
"From 1948 to 1968 the development of the student services functions at Ryerson was directed by two men: Howard Keer and David Crombie. Kerr adopted the philosophy that the Institute had a responsibility for overseeing the general welfare of the student body. He was convinced that certain non-academic services -- an athletic program, health services, residences, placement services, student loans, an alumni service and a student union building -- were part and parcel of student life, especially at the post-secondary level. The Department of Education expressed the view that these services were not essential to the effective teaching of the curricula, and consequently rejected Kerr's proposal that they be funded by the Institute. Therefore, Kerr adopted the university system of adding a student fee to the regular tuition costs to finance these student services, and turned to the American model of the College Union for a mechanism to manage the funds thus collected. The Ryerson Institute of Technology Students's Union Corporation, patterned on the College Union, was used by Kerr to provide student services from 1957 to the mid-sixties. Prior to 1957, the main services provided were financial aid, an athletic program and a health service. After Kerr's resignation in 1966, Crombie provided the leadership to bring these functions under the umbrella of one administrative unit -- a Student Services Department. Like Kerr, he turned to the United States for direction on an organizational framework. It was also during Crombie's tenure that the "Regulations Regarding Conduct, Discipline and Attendance" were amended. By 1968, the concept of 'in loco parentis' seemed outdated and the Board accepted Crombie's proposal that a student be subject to the same legal process as any other citizen living in "the City of Toronto, the Province of Ontario and Canada". By 1968, the Student Services Department was firmly constituted as a divisional unit at the Institute, with its Director reporting to the President."--p. 31. Source: The History of the Student Services Department at Ryerson Polytechnical Institute, 1948-1968. T.G. Sosa, June 30, 1977. Collection Record: 10-50.