Showing 9601 results

Authority record

Kilburn Brothers

  • 500033342
  • Corporate body
  • 1865-1909

Kilburn Brothers is a American and Canadian photography studio and publisher founded by Benjamin and Edward Kilburn in 1865. In 1867 the company published a series of 30 views of Montreal and Quebec City, Quebec, Canada. Benjamin made all the negatives for the company until 1867. In 1877 Edward Kilburn retired leaving Benjamin to run the company until 1909.

Charles-Emile Reynaud

  • 500404167
  • Person
  • 1844-1918

Charle-Emile Reynaud is a French engraver and filmmaker. In 1876, he devised the Praxinoscope, patented on 21 December 1877, a cylinder with a band of coloured images set inside. This was an improvement on the Phenakistiscope and Zoetrope. There was a central drum of mirrors, which were equidistant between the axis and the picture strip, so that as the toy revolved the reflection of each picture seen in the mirror-drum appeared stationary. The images blended to give a clear, bright, undistorted moving picture without flicker. He received an Honourable Mention in the Paris Exposition of 1878 for the device.

The following year he added a Patent Supplement for an improvement - the Praxinoscope Théâtre. The mirror-drum and cylinder were set in a wooden box in which there was a glass-covered viewing aperture, reflecting a card printed with a background. The moving subjects - a juggler, clowns, a steeple-chase - were printed on a black band, and thus appeared superimposed on a suitable scene. A further development was the Projection Praxinoscope which used a series of transparent pictures on glass; an oil lamp illuminated the images and the mirror reflections passed through a lens onto a screen. In December 1888 Reynaud patented his Théâtre Optique, a large-scale Praxinoscope intended for public projection. By using spools to feed and take-up the extended picture band, sequences were no longer limited to short cyclic movements. The images were painted on gelatine squares and fastened between leather bands, with holes in metal strips between the pictures engaging in pins on the revolving wheel, so that each picture was aligned with a facet of the mirror drum. This was the first commercial use of the perforations that were to be so important for successful cinematography.

Reynaud experimented unsuccessfully with an oscillating-mirror projector in an attempt to update his presentation technique, but the battle with the competition of the Cinématographe and its imitators, with their constantly-changing programmes, was finally lost, and the last show took place on 28 February 1900. From 1903 to 1907 Reynaud worked on a device for viewing short stereoscopic sequences of movement, the Stereo-cinema, resembling a double praxinoscope arranged vertically, but it was not financially viable. Before his death in January 1918, in a fit of depression, he smashed the surviving Théâtre Optique mechanism and threw all but two of his picture bands into the Seine. Reproductions of the two bands - Pauvre Pierrot and Autour d'une cabine - are today still being shown, as the only surviving examples of his public screen motion picture work.

Keystone View Company

  • 500450247
  • Corporate body
  • 1892-1963

Founded by B.L. Singly in Meadville, Pennsylvania in 1892 as a photographic image producer and distributor. In 1930, Keystone View Company reached its height of popularity but was purchased in 1963 by Mast Development Company when lantern slides became obsolete.

Singley, B. L.

  • 500450249
  • Person
  • 1864-1938

American photographer, and artist, president of the Keystone View Company from its start in 1892 until hist retirement in 1936.

Bachelard, Gaston

  • Getty Thesaurus
  • Person
  • 1884-1962

He was a French philosopher and writer, authoring 23 books and countless smaller works. He initially intended to pursue a career in engineering, but after three years in the trenches of the First World War, he changed his sights to philosophy, eventually moving to Paris, where he obtained a doctorate from the Sorbonne. At the Sorbonne, he occupied the chair of history and philosophy of science from 1940 to 1955. His interests included the philosophy of science, the epistemology of knowledge, particularly the dangers of a priori thinking and questions of objectivity and experimental evidence and the phenomena of consciousness.

Ayer, J. C. (James Cook)

  • Getty Thesaurus
  • Person
  • 1818-1878

He trained as a pharmacist and doctor, and became wealthy by selling patent medicines such as 'Ayer's Sarsaparilla.' He owned stock in textile mills, railroads, and newspapers, and funded the American Woolen Company, helmed by his brother Frederick, which became the largest manufacturer of woolens in the United States. The town of Ayer, Massachusetts is named for him, though the residents of the town held a public burning of his effigy after he ran for Congress in 1874. He died in an insane asylum in 1878.

Bakker, Gijs

  • Getty Thesaurus
  • Person
  • 1942-present

He was trained as a jewelry and industrial designer at the Gerrit Rietveld Academie in Amsterdam and at the Konstfack Skolen in Stockholm. His designs cover jewelry, home accessories, household appliances, furniture, interiors, public spaces, and exhibitions. He has worked for numerous companies, including Polaroid, Artifort, Droog Design, Castelijn, HEMA, Royal VKB, and ENO Studio. With Renny Ramakers, Bakker founded Droog Design in Amsterdam in 1993, a Dutch “brand” of products created by an array of international designers. With Ramakers, he was the selector and art director of all products for Droog Design until 2009.
He has also taught design at various schools for more than 40 years. After teaching at the Design Academy Eindhoven (DAE) for more than 15 years, in 2010 he was appointed Head of the Masters Program.
In 1996, he established the Chi ha paura...? (Italian for “Who’s afraid of…?”) Foundation in 1996 together with Marijke Vallanzasca. He investigates the relation between craft and design in his work. Bakker travels around the world to present workshops and lectures about his own work, Droog Design, CHP, and Yii (HAN Gallery) and is frequently a member of juries.
His work is represented widely in international public and private collections worldwide and he is the recipient of many accolades, among them the 2011 Sanoma Lifetime Achievement Award (Amsterdam), Gijs Bakker was most recently honored in 2012 as “Best International Jewelry Designer,” by the Andrea Palladio International Jewelry Awards.

Adams, Michael

  • Getty Thesaurus
  • Person
  • 1946-present

Michael has an Honours B.A. in Political Science from Queen's University (1969) and a M.A. in Sociology from the University of Toronto (1970). He was named one of the 100 most influential people in Canadian communications according to Marketing Magazine’s Power List 2005. In 2008, he was appointed to the Ontario Premier’s Climate Change Advisory Panel and was made a Fellow of the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association, the highest honour which can be bestowed upon a member, for his contribution to marketing and survey research in Canada. In the spring of 2009, he received an honorary Doctor of Letters from Ryerson University in Toronto. In 2016 he was awarded the Order of Canada for his contributions in public opinion research.
Michael Adams is currently the president of the Environics group of research and communications consulting companies which he co-founded in 1970. In 2006 he founded the Environics Institute for Survey Research, where he also serves as President.
Mr. Adams is also the author of multiple books and is a noted commentator on social values and social change in North America. He is a popular public speaker, offering topical, entertaining talks elaborating the data presented in his books. Michael’s speaking repertoire includes a long-range look at the evolution of Canadian public opinion on a range of issues from public policy to national identity and diversity.

Abbott, Berenice, 1898-1991

  • Getty Thesaurus
  • Person
  • 1898-1991

Abbott worked in Paris as a darkroom assistant to American Surrealist photographer Man Ray in 1923. Although she is responsible for bringing international recognition to the work of French photographer Eugène Atget, she is best known for her black and white photographs of New York in transition in the 1930s.

Arthur, Paul

  • Getty Thesaurus
  • Person
  • 1925-2018

He was an American art director and was the original art director of Playboy magazine for 29 years. After his retirement he concentrated on his own paintings and drawings.

Blom, Piet

  • Getty Thesaurus
  • Person
  • 1934-1999

Piet Blom was a Dutch architect best known for his 'Kubuswoningen' (Cube houses) built in Helmond in the mid-1970s and in Rotterdam in the early 1980s. He studied at the Amsterdam Academy of Building-Arts as a student of Aldo van Eyck. He was selected as the Dutch Prix de Rome recipient in 1962 and is a representative of the Structuralist movement. There is a Museum dedicated to Piet Blom's works that opened in May, 2013 in Hengelo, The Netherlands.

Cyoni, Christopher

  • Getty Thesaurus
  • Person
  • 1924-2004

Owtram was born in Uganda, studied at the Architectural Association in London(1942), was in the war from 1942-1946, and continued his education at the School of Architecture, Liverpool University(1946-1951). He moved to Canada in 1954, and was in private practice in Vancouver from 1954 to 1961. Became a member of the Architectural Institute of British Columbia (MAIBC) in 1954. In 1955, he received a special recommendation and $200 for his design of the Queen Elizabeth Theatre. He changed his last name to Cyoni in 1960. In 1961 he moved to Scottsdale, Arizona, where he set up a practice. In 1967 he changed his name again, this time to Cyaioni.

Appelt, Dieter

  • Getty Thesaurus
  • Person
  • 1935-present

He is a is a German artist known for black and white photographs, which depict performances and sculptures of his own construction. He studied singing and music at the Mendelssohn Bartholdy Akademie in Leipzig, before taking photography courses under Heinz Hajek-Halke at the Academy of Fine Arts in Berlin. During his early years in Berlin, he continued to be involved in music and performed in the choir of the city’s Opera. After a trip to Italy in 1976, Appelt started to focus his photographic attentions on his own body. Today, Appelt’s works are held in the collections of The Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Los Angeles County Museum of Art, the Art Institute of Chicago, and the Walker Art Center in Minneapolis, among others.

Ashihara, Yoshinobu

  • Getty Thesaurus
  • Person
  • 1918-2003

Japanese architect and writer. He graduated from the University of Tokyo in 1942 and in 1946–7 he worked in Tokyo. After receiving a master’s degree from Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (1953), he worked in New York (1953–6). In 1956 he returned to Japan and opened his own office in Tokyo. One of his principal concerns was the use of logical structural systems to create flexible, integrated space within buildings. He developed the use of split levels or ‘skip’ floors to combine spaces of various sizes, earning him the Architectural Institute of Japan prize in 1960. The Sony building (1966), Tokyo, was designed as a cubic spiral of skip floors, creating organic spatial continuity throughout the building with spaces that interrelate with each other and with their environment. A similar concept was used for the Japanese pavilion at Expo ’67 in Montreal, for which he received an award from the Ministry of Education. The continuity and flow of space between interior and exterior, and in the spaces between buildings, were also addressed, for example in the Komazawa Olympic Gymnasium (1964), Tokyo, which received a special award from the Architectural Institute of Japan. His National Museum of Japanese History (1980), Sakura, also won a prize, from the Japan Institute of Art. Ashihara received a PhD from the University of Tokyo in 1961 and was appointed professor at several universities, both in Japan and overseas. He was a vice-president of the Architectural Institute of Japan (1976–8) and president of the Japan Architects Association (1980–82).

J. Russell & Sons

  • Corporate body
  • 1863-1903

James Russell operated a photography studio in Chichester, England with in sons from approximately 1863 to 1903.

Cunningham, A.M.

  • Corporate body
  • 1902-1924

Alexander McKenzie Cunningham operated a photography studio that was located at 3 James Street East, Hamilton, Ontario. They specialized in the platinum photographic process.

Bongard & Taylor

  • Corporate body

Bongard & Taylor was a photography studio located in Oshawa, Ontario.

Broadway Photo. Co.

  • Corporate body
  • ca. 1910

Broadway Photo. Co. was a photography studio located at 1150 Broadway, Cleveland, Ohio.

E. R. Owen

  • Corporate body

E. R. Owen was a photography studio located in Red Bud, Illinois.

Frederick W. Lyonde

  • Corporate body
  • 1897-1921

Frederick William Lyonde operated a photography studio at Yonge and Queen Streets, Toronto, Ontario from 1897-1925. In 1921, he partnered with his sons and renamed the studio "Frederick William Lyonde and His Sons".

George C. Nutter, Photographer

  • Corporate body

Photographer located in Belleville, New Hampshire during the late nineteenth century.

Miss Margaret A. Hess

  • Corporate body
  • 1874-1886

Miss Margaret A. Hess operated a photography studio in Hamilton, Ontario from 1874 to 1886.

Owen

  • Corporate body

Smith

  • Corporate body
  • 1884-1925?

The Smith photography studio, located in Galt, Ontario, originated as a partnership between Thomas H. and William Smith in 1884. In 1888, William T. left the partnership and Thomas H. continued to operate the studio throughout 1925.

Stewart's Studio

  • Corporate body
  • ca. 1860-1910

Stewart's Studio was a photography studio that operated in West Baden Springs during the late nineteenth century.

Wallis

  • Corporate body

Wilber

  • Corporate body

Dame, William H.

  • Corporate body
  • 1901-1914

William H. Dame operated a photography studio that was located at 373 Dovercourt Road, Toronto. From 1907-1909 he operated with his son, and the studio was coherently named William H. Dame & Son.

Student Services

  • University Name

"From 1948 to 1968 the development of the student services functions at Ryerson was directed by two men: Howard Keer and David Crombie. Kerr adopted the philosophy that the Institute had a responsibility for overseeing the general welfare of the student body. He was convinced that certain non-academic services -- an athletic program, health services, residences, placement services, student loans, an alumni service and a student union building -- were part and parcel of student life, especially at the post-secondary level. The Department of Education expressed the view that these services were not essential to the effective teaching of the curricula, and consequently rejected Kerr's proposal that they be funded by the Institute. Therefore, Kerr adopted the university system of adding a student fee to the regular tuition costs to finance these student services, and turned to the American model of the College Union for a mechanism to manage the funds thus collected. The Ryerson Institute of Technology Students's Union Corporation, patterned on the College Union, was used by Kerr to provide student services from 1957 to the mid-sixties. Prior to 1957, the main services provided were financial aid, an athletic program and a health service. After Kerr's resignation in 1966, Crombie provided the leadership to bring these functions under the umbrella of one administrative unit -- a Student Services Department. Like Kerr, he turned to the United States for direction on an organizational framework. It was also during Crombie's tenure that the "Regulations Regarding Conduct, Discipline and Attendance" were amended. By 1968, the concept of 'in loco parentis' seemed outdated and the Board accepted Crombie's proposal that a student be subject to the same legal process as any other citizen living in "the City of Toronto, the Province of Ontario and Canada". By 1968, the Student Services Department was firmly constituted as a divisional unit at the Institute, with its Director reporting to the President."--p. 31. Source: The History of the Student Services Department at Ryerson Polytechnical Institute, 1948-1968. T.G. Sosa, June 30, 1977. Collection Record: 10-50.

Parker, Edward

  • Person

Edward (ED) Parker, was the founder and served as the first Director of Ryerson's Journalism, Advertising and Printing Management Program between (1948-1955), and as the Director of the School of Graphic Arts. Edward Parker worked for several newspapers in his early years and was involved in many public relations endeavours, including the establishment of his own firm after he left Ryerson Polytechnical Institute in 1955.

CESAR

  • University Name

G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education

  • University Name
  • 1948-

Continuing Education has been at Ryerson since the school was opened in 1948. Below is a rough timeline of significant events in the School's history:
1948: Extension Classes at The Evening School Program

1964: Bert Parsons, Director of Extension
Correspondence course in public administration – extension of night school course for civil servants

1971: Began receiving funding from the provincial government
Ben Celliers, Director of Extension

1972: Management Development Institute created.

1974: Ryerson integrating evening and day education under one academic umbrella
Name change from Extension Department to Evening Studies Department

1975: Report on part-time studies recommended that Evening Studies division replace the Evening Studies Department and that an Evening
Studies Council be created

1976: Ken MacKeracher, Dean of Evening Studies
Academic Council approved bylaws for creation of Evening Studies Divisional Council
Evening classes academic terms aligned with day terms

1977: Evening Studies Division moved to Jorgenson Hall/Learning Centre complex
Evening Studies became Continuing Education Division (headed by a Dean)
Continuing Education Division moved to lower ground floor of Learning Resources Centre from East Kerr Hall
First mention of Continuing Education administering Management Development Institute (which was established in 1972)
The first Dean of Continuing Education was Ken MacKeracher
First graduate in the Continuing Education division

1978: Continuing Education students able to appeal grades for non-credit courses
Occupational Health and Safety is first certificate program proposal in Continuing Ed to be presented to Academic Council
Continuing Education students’ caucus proposed and approved by Board of Governors
The Night Student News newsletter started

1979: Continuing Education Student Association referendum approved by CE students
Academic Council approved interdisciplinary certificate program in gerontology (offered through CED)
Academic Council approved policies/procedures for development of future part-time diploma/degree programs

1980: CE Division gained equal representation with day education on Academic Council

1981: CE certificate status disputed for certificate programs not sanctioned by Academic Council
1982: CE and promotion departments merged

1983: Milton Orris, Dean of Continuing Education

1987: 50 certificate programs offered by CE

1989: CE office moved from 111 Gerrard St. to 252 Victoria St
Ryerson CE Division, Durham College, York University, Trent University partner to allow students to transfer between schools

1994: CE moving from 21 Dundas Square to 415 Yonge

1995: Photo ID available to CED students
Marilynn Booth, Dean of CE

1996: Centre for Research on Lifelong Learning opened
Ryerson ends its partnership with Durham College

1998: CE advertised on television for first time

2000: CE moves to Heaslip House - 297 Victoria Street.

2003: G. Raymond Chang gave $5 million for new CE building; rename: G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education (GRCSCE)

2004: GRCSCE gets new logo

2007: Distance education program in nursing partnership between University of the West Indies and GRCSCE

Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering

  • University Name

1995: Computer Engineering is offered as an option within the Electrical and Computer Engineering Program. 2002: In the Fall, Computer Enginnering is offered as a separate program.

Swede, George

  • Person
  • 1968-

George Swede was a member of the Department of Psychology at Ryerson from 1968 to 2006 (and Chair from 1998 to 2003). During his career at Ryerson as well as after, he also pursued his interests as a creative writer, editor and arts administrator. Some highlights include: co-founding Haiku Canada in 1977; editing the Canadian Haiku Anthology (Three Trees Press 1979); co-editing Global Haiku (Brooks Books, 2000) and Erotic Haiku (Black Moss Press, 2017); being named Honorary Curator of the Amercian Haiku Archives for 2008-2009; being elected the editor of Frogpond: Journal of the Haiku Society of America, 2008-2012 (the first Canadian along with Anita Krumins, retired Ryerson Commuications Professor, who was appointed as co-editor).
George Swede has also published 40 collections of poetry, the latest being Helices (Red Moon Press, 2016). which won the 2017 Leroy & Mildred Kanterman Memorial Book Award, First Place for the best collection of haiku, and a Portuguese/English chapbook, um mosquito no meu braço (Francisco Carvalho, translator for Eufeme, 2017). For more information about his life, awards, publications and positions go to Wikipedia or to his website at georgeswede.com.

Segal, Brian

  • Person

Brian Segal was president of Ryerson Polytechnical Institute between 1980-1988.
Brian Segal is a former president of Ryerson University, and has been a distinguished visiting professor at the Ted Rogers School of Management since September 2009. With a PhD in social welfare policy, Segal started his career in academia, becoming president of what was known as Ryerson Polytechnic Institute from 1980 to 1988. Following his tenure at Ryerson, Segal was the president and vice-chancellor at the University of Guelph from 1988 to 1992. After his time at Guelph, Segal moved onto publishing and was executive vice-president of Rogers Publishing and publisher of Maclean’s magazine. In 1999, until his retirement in 2012, he was president and CEO of Rogers Publishing, overseeing more than 70 consumer, business, parenting and medical publications.
Segal is also well-known in the Toronto community. A founding member of the Design Exchange, he served on the United Way Toronto’s Campaign Cabinet and was a strategic planning director for Canada’s Department of the Secretary of State. Other positions include director of IBM Canada, Union Gas, Sun Life Trust and Schneider Corporation. In 2008, Segal received an Honorary Doctorate from Ryerson and was honoured as a Legacy Laureate by the University of Pittsburgh.
In 2009, Segal created the Ted Rogers Leadership Centre at the Ted Rogers School of Management, and is the volunteer chair, director of strategy and programming, and director of development for the centre. As founder and chair, he created the “Dare to Lead” program for MBA students and the “Top 200 Leadership Summit” for undergraduate business students. Segal has also been instrumental in founding the Jim Pattison Ethical Leadership Research and Education Program, and in developing (along with the director of the program, Professor Chris MacDonald) a range of events and research activities.

Planning and Priorities Advisory Committee

  • University Name

PPAC is the acronym for Planning and Priorities Advisory Committee. An ad hoc committee, the Priorities Committee to Advise the President, was established in 1972 to make recommendations in the area of programs and resources allocation (human, financial, physical) with the purpose of restoring the Institute's financial stability and maintaining its educational integrity and effectiveness. Dr. George Korey, Vice-President Administration, was Chairman. It is probable that later in the 1970s, this Committee became the Planning and Budgeting Review Committee (PBRC). The PBRC, in turn, became the Planning and Priorities Advisory Committee (PPAC) in the late 1980s. Until new information becomes available on the official links (if any) between the Priorities Committee to Advise the President and the PBRC/PPAC, all records pertaining to these committees will be arranged under this group, i.e. PPAC or Group 39.

Admissions/Liaison and Advising Department

  • University Name

In April 1993, the Registrariat made some organizational changes with four units amalgamating into two: Academic Advising/Evaluations with Admissions/Liaison and Timetabling joining with Records and Registration Services. The Group name Admissions/Liaison has been changed to include Curriculum Advising.

Beresford-Howe, Constance

  • Person
  • 1922-2016

Constance Beresford-Howe was born November 10, 1922 in Montreal, Quebec. She attended McGill University where she received her Bachelor of Arts in 1945 and her Masters of Arts in 1946. She married Christopher Presnell in 1960, and completed her Ph.D at Brown University in 1965. Constance began her teaching career at McGill in 1949. She left there in 1971 to come to Toronto and teach English at Ryerson Polytechnical Institute. She taught at Ryerson until 1987. Aside from teaching she has written 10 novels, her first in 1946 called The Unreasoning Heart and her last in 1991 called A Serious Widow. She has also written for several magazines. 1 of her books, "The Book of Eve", was adapted into a play called "Eve" that debuted at the Stratford Festival in 1976 with Jessica Tandy as the lead. It was made into a movie in 2002 called "The Book of Eve". CBC created a television adaptation of "A Population of One", and "The Marriage Bed" was made into a T.V. movie in 1986. Constance has also written a script for a T.V. movie called "The Cuckoo Bird" and acted in a movie called "Hugh MacLennan: Portrait of a Writer" as herself

Innis, Hugh R.

  • Person

Hugh Innis was the son of Mary Quayle Innis and Harold Innis. He graduated from the University of Toronto. He was a professor at Ryerson University, the Program Director for Arts in the School of Continuing Education (Chang School) and was also the Associate Registrar.

Novick, Marvyn

  • Person
  • 1940-2016

Marvyn Novick was born in Montreal in 1940 and grew up there. He graduated from Sir George Williams University in Montreal and did graduate work at the University of Michigan and Northwestern University. While in Montrea, he was a youth worker, a community organizer in Detroit and Baltimore, and a welfare rights strategist in Washington. In 1970 he moved to Toronto and worked as a senior program director with the Social Planning Council of Metropolitan Toronto.

He was a professor in the Department of Social Work and was also, at one time, the Dean of Community Services. He His area of concentration was social planning. He taught social policy and community practice focused courses at Ryerson. He was a policy thinker and community activist in his professional life. He researched and wrote major national reports on child poverty in Canada, addressed issues of work and family life, focused public attention on the social responsibilities of local governments in Ontario, conducted a widely cited two volume study on changing social conditions in Toronto suburbs, and is the author of working papers on the life chances of children.

He was active in the Social Planning Network of Ontario (SPNO) and received a lifetime honourary membership in 2007.

Marvyn Novick died June 21, 2016

Ryerson Circle K Club

  • University Name

Circle K International was a collegiate service organization involved in community, student, environmental and health concerns. A Circle K Club operated on the Ryerson Campus from the early 1960s to January, 1986. Its materials and records were transferred to the offices of the Student Union and ultimately turned over to the Archives.

Office of the Learning Resource Centre Director

  • University Name

The Learning Resources Centre arrangement consists of four groups: (i) ARCHIVES; (ii) LRC: DIRECTOR'S OFF. (69); (iii) LIBRARY DEPT. (5); (iv) MEDIA CENTRE (76).

Management Development Institute

  • University Name

--Formed in 1972 under the jurisdiction of the Business Division --A program of adult education tailored to the professional development of practising managers in business and government --Dr. Donald Gyallay, appointed Director --Responsibility transferred to the Continuing Education Division in 1977

Keast, Ron

  • Person

Dr. Ronald Keast earned his B.A., M.A., and in 1974 his Ph.D. from the Department of Religion at McMaster University. The subject of his doctoral thesis and subsequently published work was The Effects of the Technique and Technology of Communications on Religion in the West.
Dr. Keast has over forty years’ experience in television broadcasting and education in Canada. After early years as a television writer, director and producer, he served as General Manager of programming at the Ontario provincial educational television service, TVOntario, Chair of the School of Radio and Television Arts at Ryerson University in Toronto, and then, from 1987 to 2005, President and Chief Executive Officer of the national multifaith and multicultural television channel, Vision TV, (1987/1994), and of Access Media Group (1994/2005), a television and multimedia learning company that owned and operated three national and one regional television specialty channels – Canadian Learning Television (CLT), BookTelevision, Court TV Canada, ACCESS Alberta - and an educational multimedia distribution company.
Following his retirement as President and CEO of Access Media Group in 2005, Dr. Keast became engaged in research and writing about science, philosophy and religion. This resulted in the 2009 publication of his book, Dancing in the Dark, The "Waltz in Wonder" of Quantum Metaphysics.
In 2008, he was appointed Chair of the Advisory Board of CARP – A New Vision of Aging for Canada. In 2009, he became a shareholder and Chair of the Board of Canada's largest educational multimedia distribution company, Distribution Access.

Committee on Appointments in the Academic Administration

  • University Name

This Committee was struck in 1976 as a joint body of Academic Council and the Board of Governors and was chaired by Board member, Peter Meincke. The Committee produced a report generally known as the Meincke Report (1976-1977) which established policies and procedures for academic appointments and made recommendations on basic questions of academic structure and the role and compensation of academic administrators. In January 1984, the Board of Governors independently set up a Review Committee of this Committee, chaired by Board member, Eric Wright, to create an appointment of Associate Vice-President Academic, as there were no terms of reference for such an appointment in the Meincke Report. The Review Committee was also requested to review the Meincke Report and make recommendations for any upgrading. A subsequent report was produced by the Review Committee (E. Wright Report) recommending three significant changes to the Meincke Report Part I. The Board of Governors approved adoption of Part I/Wright Report as Institute policy, superseding Part I/Meincke Report, at the June 25, l984 meeting. Part II/Wright Report was approved for adoption as Institute policy, superseding Part II/Meincke Report, at the September 23, l985 Board of Governors meeting.

Financial Services Department

  • University Name

1968: the Administrative Services Department becomes the Finance Department (RYERSONIAN 10Sep68). 1994: around this date (first reference in 1994-1995 Internal Directory), the Purchasing Department or function becomes affiliated with the Finance Department instead of Ancillary Services. Because of the informal transfer of the Purchasing function to Finance and because Purchasing traditionally worked closely with the Finance Department, it was decided not to establish a new, revised archival record group for the Finance activity. 1996 (Fall): the Finance Department undergoes an internal reorganization and changes its name to Financial Services. The departmental sections are as follows: Payroll; Procurement and Payment; Student Fees, Accounts Receivable and Cashiers; Department Services; Budget and Training; Accounting and Treasury; Insurance. [collection record 37-32]

Promotion Planning Group

  • University Name

Full name of the group is Promotion Planning Group. The Group was set up at the request of Ryerson President Brian Segal in 1986 to report on ways to meet increased competition for a declining pool of students with effective promotion strategies and appropriate allocation of funds. The Group was chaired by Tim Reid, Dean of Business and co-ordinated by Gail Scott, Executive Co-ordinator, Community Relations. Other members included: Jennifer Brunzell, Registrar; Gene Logel, Assistant Registrar - Admissions; Arnice Cadieux, Director of Promotion Services; Marvyn Novick, Dean of Community Services; Paul Nowack, Dean of Applied Arts; Nick Siller, Dean of Arts; Ted Wisz, Dean of Technology; Ron Swirsky, Director of Planning and Research; Ron Taber, Director of Student Services; and Ray Young, Associate Director - Marketing of the School of Business.

Office of Employment and Educational Equity

  • University Name

1994 (July): Employment and Educational Equity officially becomes a unit of the newly-formed Department of Equity, Harassment and Safety Services. 1998: The Employment Equity Policy is revised. Responsibility for the activity of Employment Equity is transferred from Discrimination and Harassment Services to Human Resources (background provided to the BOG Employee Relations and Pensions Committee 16Jun03)). Primary records pertaining to the Employment Equity Unit of Human Resources will now be arranged under the Human Resources Group. Educational Equity will continue under Group 126, for the time-being. 2001: The internal Ryerson Telephone Directory lists the unit of Educational Equity. 2002: The internal Ryerson Telephone Directory places the Educational Unit under Discrimination and Harassment Prevention Services, with Tony Conte as Educational Equity Advisor. 2003 (October): A Student Services newsletter indicates that Tony Conte has moved to this department. The Internal Telephone Directory lists the position of Educational Equity Advisor as being vacant. N.B. The future status of Record Group 126 is undecided due to the above vacancy. The Archives shall monitor future organizational information in order to determine if this group should be closed. The shortened name 'Equity Office' has been allocated to the group to encompass past and present designations. Subject headings in both the Cross-Reference Subject File and the Documentation Files Collection are designated as "Equity Offices/Issues" and will contain information from both of the abovementioned areas.

Ross, Kathy Gallagher

  • Person

Kathy Gallagher Ross has an R. N, a Masters in Environmental Science, and a Graduate Diploma in Child Study. She has worked as an instructor in day care administration and early childhood education. She has also worked as a supervising teacher in a community controlled day care centre.

Department of Politics and Public Administration

  • University Name

1957: Social Sciences 1970: Arts Division 1976: Reorganized Arts Division into 7 Depts., Jean Golden, Politics Chair 1984 (Sep): A degree in Public Administration was first offered.

Mesbur, Ellen Sue

  • Person

Sue Ellen Mesbur served as a Professor in the School of Social Work at Ryerson University between 1968-2002, where she also served as Director between 1989-1998. Dr. Mesbur earned her Bachelor of Arts in 1965, her Masters of Social Work in 1967, her Master of Education in 1978 and her Doctor of Education in 1986. All of Dr. Mesbur’s degrees were earned at the University of Toronto. As a professor, Dr. Mesbur’s teaching and research areas of focus included Social work with groups, field education, social work with older adults and interpersonal, communication skills, Field Education in Social Work; History of Social Group Work in Canada; and the Use of Technology in Teaching Social Group Work. In 2012, Dr. Mesbur was recognized by the CASWE for her contributions to social work education in Canada and was the International Honoree of the AASWG for her contributions to AASWG and to social group work education and scholarship.

The Ryerson Rambler

  • University Name

1962: June -- first issue of "The Ryerson Rambler" 1972: Last issue 1978: February -- publication resurrected. (See Issue 1 for more detailed information) 1997: Name changed to "The Ryerson Magazine". Arranged under the University Advancement Office Group (Coll Rec: 395-32)

Medical Centre

  • University Name

As of the beginning of the academic year 2009 (Tuesday 8 September 2009), the Health Centre changed their name officially to Medical Centre. Name of Record Group changed to reflect the title change.

CJRT Radio

  • University Name
  • 1949-2010

1949 - CJRT launches with limited broadcast to Toronto area, on frequency 88.3.
1950 - Frequency changes to 91.1 MHz, .CJRT-FM.
1954 - Used as training for RTA.
1964 - Licensee changes from RTA to the Board of Governors and run by professional staff with part-time student employees.
1965 - Disk jockey, Ted O'Reilly, begins popular jazz program.
1971 - First broadcast of new Open College with university level Sociology; a first in North America.
1973 - Ryerson announces plans to surrender licence.
1974 - November 29 - a non-profit company incorporates to acquire CJRT, which changes to CJRT-FM Inc.. However, Ryerson retains an affiliation with CJRT-FM with Copen College.
1981 - Antenna moved to the CN Tower.
1992 - 2000 - An increase in jazz program(s) and less of other music genres. 1996 - provincial government cancelled the radio's annual operating stipend of $1,300,00 [Jazz FM91 website]
2001 - Move to an all jazz format.
2006 - Move from Ryerson campus to Liberty Village.
2009 - Broadcasts on radio and online.Digital radio and licence as CJRT-DR-1.
2010 - CJRT obtains licence to become Jazz FM91.

Burkhardt, Helmut (Ken)

  • Person
  • 1933-2017

Helmut (Ken) Burkhardt received his Ph.D from the University of Stuttgart in 1964 and was a refugee during World War II. In 1967, he moved to Toronto with his wife. After doing research in thermonuclear fusion and magneto hydrodynamic energy conversion, he became a pioneer in renewable energy. He started working at Ryerson in the Department of Mathematics and Physics in 1974. He also worked in Ryerson's Energy Centre and as director, organized many conferences with the International Society for Systems Sciences and Science for Peace. He retired from Ryerson in 1996, becoming a proferssor emeritus. He is a member of the Canadian Pugwash Group, serving as President of its Council on Global Issues (2002-2009). In 2011 he became the President of Solar Energy Technology Inc.

Waalen, Judith Kelly

  • Person
  • May 27, 1940 – July 19, 2019

Judith Waalen received her B.A. in Biology and Psychology from Assumption University in 1962, her M.A. in Psychology from University of Windsor in 1964, and her Ph.D. in Sociology from Wayne State University in 1982. While at Ryerson University Dr. Waalen was a professor in the Department of Psychology and the Director of the Centre of Quality Research. She would later become a professor at Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College, working in the Graduate Studies and Research, and Post-graduate and Continuing Education departments. For many years, Judy taught Psychology courses at Ryerson to students in the professional programs and interacted with a great many faculty members in these departments in various capacities. In the mid-1980, for example, the Dean of Business Bonnie Patterson asked Judy to provide some research training to interested faculty since she felt developing the intellectual capital of her faculty was a good investment. Thus, Judy became the first Research Associate at Ryerson and over the ensuing years, a number of Ryerson faculty members advanced their education and their professional positions partly due to this research training and mentoring.

In 2000, Judy took advantage of an early retirement incentive program to leave the Psychology Department and went to manage Ryerson’s Centre for Quality Service Research and to join CMCC to teach research methods and statistics in their graduate residency programs. During this time with her husband David, she published articles on chiropractic education, and with other colleagues, she co-authored a number of articles for scientific and scholarly journals. In 2005, Judy returned to Ryerson to work as a research analyst for The Chang School. She taught staff members to conduct, analyze, and publish their research in-house, did competitive research, and conducted annual student satisfaction surveys until she left in 2011.

Conrad, Ronald

  • Person
  • [ca. 1990]

Ronald Conrad is a Professor Emeritus of English at Ryerson Polytechnic University. While at Ryerson he taught in many areas including Canadian literature, Victorian literature, composition, and creative writing. His focus on teaching effective writing skills has resulted in the publication of many well-received composition textbooks. Ronald Conrad has lived and travelled throughout the world, and speaks French and Spanish fluently.

Office of the Registrar

  • University Name

Morley Finley was appointed the first registrar at Ryerson at the School's founding in 1948. He also functioned as the executive assistant to Principal Howard Kerr. Finley resigned from the position in 1955, replaced by D. G. W. McRae (1956-1958). The Registrariat had three sections - Academic Advising/Evaluations; Records and Registration Services; and Timetabling. In 1990 they became responsible for the Office of Admissions/Liaison, which formerly had been organized under the Office of Community Relations. In 1993, the Registrar's office amalgamated its four units into two - Academic Advising/Evaluations with Admissions/Liaison; Timetabling with Records and Registration Services. In 2015 the Office of Student Awards and Scholarship moved under the umbrella of the Registrar's office, formerly residing in the Office of Convocation and Awards.

List of Ryerson's Registrars

Morley Finley 1948-1956
D. G. W. McRae 1956-1958
Alberindo Sauro 1958-1967
Al Wargo 1967-1972
Dorothy Rowles 1972-1973
Roy Horney 1973-1978
Jennifer Brunzell 1978-1988
Dennis Mock 1988-1989
Dawn Little (acting) 1989-1990
Keith C. Alnwick 1991-2013
Charmaine Hack 2013 - present

Carniol, Ben

  • Person
  • [ca. 2018]

Ben Carniol is Scholar in Residence with the Lyle S. Hallman Faculty of Social Work, Aboriginal Field of Study at Wilfrid Laurier University and Professor Emeritus at Ryerson University. He is also a social activist. He authored the first six editions of Case Critical. The Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work has awarded him and honarary life membership for distinguished contributions to socal work education in Canada.

Coppolino, Yolanda

  • Person
  • 1929-2013

Professor Emeritus with the Faculty of Business at Ryerson University and served as Chair

University Planning Office

  • University Name

1995: Academic Planning and Research Unit re-named University Planning Office. 2003 (July 1): Paul Stenton is apponted to the newly created position of Associate Vice President, University Planning. "I am pleased to inform the community that Dr. Paul Stenton has been appointed to the newly created position of Associate Vice President, University Planning, effective July 1, 2003 reporting to the Provost and Vice President Academic. Dr. Stenton has served the University as the Director of University Planning since September, 1999, and as such has worked closely with the senior management and academic administrators in the development of plans and policies on a wide range of strategic issues in order to guide the University's development and ensure the achievement of its mission. The change in title reflects the importance of this office in the Ryerson structure. During his time at Ryerson, Dr. Stenton has served as chair of the Council on University Planning and Analysis (CUPA), an affiliate of the Council of Ontario Universities, and as the chair of the Operating Revenue and Budget Committee of CUPA. He has served as co-chair of the Ryerson Backfill Committee and has helped develop the double cohort plan for enrolment growth and academic resourcing at Ryerson. Dr. Stenton has a BSc in Economics from Trent University , an MA in Economics from McMaster University and a EdD in Higher Education from the University of Toronto (OISE). He came to Ryerson from his position as Manager of the Finance Unit in the Universities Branch of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities. Prior to that he led the research and policy division of the Ontario Council on University Affairs for a number of years. While at OCUA, he played a lead role in reviewing and overhauling the Ontario university operating grants allocation system that resulted in the introduction of the "corridor funding system" that has been in place for over fifteen years. Dr. Stenton also served as Director of Policy and Research for the Advisory Panel on Future Directions for Postsecondary Education (the Smith Panel) which made policy recommendations to the Government of Ontario on the structure and policies of the Ontario university and college systems. He has a thorough knowledge of operating grants, policies and forecasting in the University sector. I am very pleased that Dr. Stenton will be continuing to serve Ryerson in this new position, and will continue to bring his extensive expertise to the area of University Planning." (Errol Aspevig, Provost and Vice President Academic, to Infoline, 4Sep03)

Results 1 to 100 of 9601