Showing 45 results

Archival description
Oakham House
Print preview View:

Rowsell's City of Toronto and County of York Directory

This file contains one copy of the Rowsell's Toronto City Directory (1950-1951). Also included are two articles, photocopies of selected pages, and the Library Circulation book card set in place when the book was removed from the shelf.


Palin Hall Campus Centre

File contains: Preliminary Plans (36" x 24") - Basement, Ground Fl., 2nd. Fl., 3rd. Fl., Rear Elevation, Sketches. c.1975-76 (after June '75, before 1977). Drawings by E. George Kneider.

E. Palin Hall, 63 Gould St

File contains:

  1. Existing Floor Plans (42 1/2" x 24") - Basement, 2nd. Fl., 3rd. Fl., Section MD-5, Section MD-6, Room Finish Schedule. Dated July, 1975. Drawings by E. George Kneider. Architects.

  2. 4 Floor plans dated October 1975. (D1,D2,D3,D4)

E. Palin Hall: Revisions to Existing Floor Plans

File contains E. Palin Hall: Revisions to Existing Floor Plans (42 1/2" x24") - A1-A-19; Plus: 2nd. Fl. Ceiling Plan; Basement Reflected Ceiling Plan; Ram's Corral & Licensed Lounge Seating Plan; Room Finish Schedule. Drawings by E. George Kneider. Architects. Dates: Nov. 3 & Dec. 17, 1975.

Pencil and Robertson Brothers Ltd chocolate candy wrapper

This file has been divided into two folders, RG 114.10.a contains general information, primarily about the Toronto chocolate and candy manufacturer, Robertson Brothers Limited. The second folder RG 114.10.b contains the pencil and Robertson chocolate wrapper for a "Milk Milken", determined to be hidden by a working boy(s) while living at the Working Boys' Home, sometime between 1900 and 1958.

1849 Invoice : From David Smith to Mrs. William [Martha] Thomas

This document appears to be an invoice and is dated August 2, 1849. It is from David Smith, "Silk and Woollen Dyer, Scourer, Hot Presser & C." to Martha Thomas, wife of the noted architect who designed Oakham House. This document was retrieved from the Oakham House documentation file.

1846 Letter : To W. Thomas from Niagara Board of Police

This is a letter to William Thomas from the Clerk of the Board of Police, Niagara, concerning the installation of the roof over the Market House and Town Hall. Thomas designed the Town Hall, Court House, and Market buildings (1846-1847). This document was retrieved from the Oakham House documentation file.


This file contains a wallet, that belonged to a resident of the Working Boys Home (now Oakham House). It was found during renovation.

Oakham House documentation files

This file contains notices and posters advertising Oakham House events and program, newsletter, memorandums, News Releases, menus.

Renderings by William Thomas

Two framed renderings by William Thomas, noted architect who designed and lived in Oakham House. One rendering is of the steeple of St. Michael's Cathedral (Thomas is credited with the main design of the Cathedral although the final design of the steeple is attributed to another architect). The other is a rendering from a book entitled, "Designs for Monuments and Chimney Pieces by William Thomas", published by John Weale of London, England. Both renderings are reproductions of originals held in the Baldwin Room of the Toronto Reference Library.

Unveiling of plaque at William Thomas gravesite

Photographs, invitation, newsletter report, videotape relating to the unveiling of a special bronze plaque next to the gravestone of William Thomas in St. James Cemetery in Toronto, and the subsequent reception at Oakham House. The plaque contains the transcribed text from the gravestone, which had become illegible over time but was available through cemetery records. The gravestone itself was partially restored. Funds for both the plaque and the restoration were provided by various heritage groups under the coordination of Mr. Stephen Otto. After the unveiling ceremony, the attendees (numbering about 25 and including relatives of William Thomas) were invited to Oakham House for refreshments, including a birthday cake in honor of the anniversary of Thomas' 200th birthday.

Kerr Hall student residents

This file contains one black and white group photograph of first Kerr Hall residents, and 3 photocopies of group photograph.

William Thomas and Oakham house

A scrapbook "William Thomas of Oakham House" containing news clippings, photographs, correspondence and committee records pertaining to Oakham House and the architect and original owner, William Thomas.

Oakham House Choir

This file contains 2 photographs of Oakham House Choir performing in its first concert at St. Michael's Cathedral on April 10, 1985, directed by Mathew Jaskiewicz.

Brochures and pamphlets

This file contains two Oakham House Conferencing brochures "A Touch of History in the Heart of Downtown", and one Oakham House Wedding Packages brochure.

RPI Residence Scrapbooks

4 Scrapbooks, containing textual records, photographs, and graphic material documenting residence life at Ryerson Polytechnic Institute (RPI) in the 1960's. Kerr Hall as Oakham House)

Print: Oakham House

Item consists of a photograph of Oakham House and students walking away and towards the building.

Eric Palin trophy

Oversized trophy awarded to the outstanding graduate in Electrical and Electronic Technology and RTA. The names of the winners are engraved on small plaques on the base.

Oakham House dogs

  • Two cast iron retriever dogs.
  • Textual records includes correspondence and related material to the "Name the Dogs" contest held by the Archives to celebrate the Dog's move to the Archive holdings.

Thomas, William, 1799-1860


This file contains 35 posters advertising Oakham House events.

Ryerson Events Calendar

This file contains 20 Ryerson Events Calendars, produces monthly by Oakham House with support from various Ryerson Groups.

Ryerson Institute of Technology Kerr Hall

Brass sign that was mounted outside on the building. Kerr Hall officially opened on November 21, 1960. It was re-named Oakham House after Howard Kerr Hall officially opened in 1964.

Marble clock

File contains the marble clock that was removed from a lounge in Oakham House, probably during renovations in the 1970s. It hung in the Archives reading room for many years until it stopped working, ca. 2015. Photographic evidence of its hanging location in Oakham House exists in the Archives.