Print preview Close

Showing 13358 results

Archivistische beschrijving
Stuk
Print preview View:

752 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Soapbox Car: Katie I

Item is a soapbox derby car built by Ryerson engineering students and raced from about 1990 to 1999. The car was named 'Katie' after the now-closed Centre For Advanced Technology Education (CATE). The item includes a plaque that reads "Mech Course Union - Thanks all engineers who gave their time and effort to keep the legacy of Katie Alive.

Dispatch: War Photographs in Print, 1854-2008

Book published in conjunction with the Exhibition "Dispatch: War Photographs in Print, 1854-2008". The exhibition was curated by Dr. Thierry Gervais and was on view in the RIC from September 17 - December 7, 2014.

Addleman-Frankel, Kate

Report Of Inquiry Into The Journalism Department

2 copies of "The Report of an Inquiry into the Department of Journalism at Ryerson Polytechnical Institute" September 1, 1970. This report was generated by the Department of Journalism at the request of the Office of the President (Mr. Donald L. Mordell).

Wellesley School of Nursing - Nursing procedures

Wellesley School of Nursing nursing procedures manual containing instructions on a variety of topics. Manual was used during the time with Wellesley Hospital was a division of the Toronto General Hospital. Topics include patient admitting and discharge, room cleaning, medical procedures, pre- and post-operative care, medicine administration, charting, and equipment use. Included are examples of the variety of forms used by doctors and nurses and a separate booklet of information on oxygen administration published by the Linde Company.

Address delivered by Dean Woodside at the Graduation Exercises of the Nursing Association, Toronto General Hospital

Address given by University of Toronto Dean of Arts Moffatt St. Andrew Woodside to the graduating class of the Toronto General Hospital. Ceremony took place in Convocation Hall at the University of Toronto. The ceremony was held May 23, 1957.

Woodside, Moffatt St. Andrew

Nursing Papers

Nursing Papers was the publication of the School of Graduate Nurses at McGill University in Montreal. Contains 2 papers: "Profession or Union: Who Will Call the Shots?" by Joan M. Gilchrist; and "Learning the Concept: Nursing in Chronic Illness" by Margaret Hooton. Both authors were assistant professors in the school.

Gilchrist, Joan M.

Reference handbook for nurses

A medical reference book for nurses. Found in the pages of the book was a news clipping about a soldier's death, notes on a quinnine injection, and recipes from the Hospital for Sick Children. Wellesley Hospital participated in an affiliate program with Sick Kids hospital so its nurses could train in pediatric nursing.

Beck, Amanda K.

Wellesley Hospital School of Nursing graduation doll

Wellesley Hospital School of Nursing graduation doll created for Wellesley graduate and former Daphne Cockwell School of Nursing faculty member Linda Cooper. Doll has curly blonde hair and full make-up. It is wearing the nurses graduation cap with the black band, the starched white graduation uniform of dress, bib and apron with the blue and red Wellesley nursing cape. The doll is also wearing white stockings and white shoes. A scanned image of the Wellesley graduation pin is affixed to front of the uniform on the left side. The doll is also wearing a plastic heart bracelet.

Higgins-Tramov, Janis

Silver platter - Mary Willmina Ferguson

Round silver platter with 3 feet. Fluted edge with filagree decoration around edge and around writing in centre. Inscription reads "Presented to Mary Willmina Ferguson by Wellesley Hospital Nurses Decemver 11th 1946".

Based on silver markings on the platter, it was created by John Round & Son Ltd. in 1924. The firm was established by John Round in Sheffield in 1847. In 1874 the firm became John Round & Son Ltd and in 1886 the business of Ridge, Allcard & Co (Lions Works, Eyre Lane) was amalgamated and John Ridge became the manager. The main factory was the renewed Tudor Works, Tudor Street, Sheffield.

John Round & Son Ltd.

Central Business College Toronto pin

Pin awarded to Helen Carruthers by the Central Business College of Toronto. Pin has laurel leaf pattern across bottom with filagree across the top surrounding a round metal disk inscribed with "Central Business College Toronto" around a typewriter. The back of the pin is inscribed "Awarded to Helen Carruthers Dec 1900".

Central Business College

Canadian Army Class A badge

Round bronze pin with "For Service at the Front" and a union jack on a shield in the centre. "C.E.F" is overtop of the shield. The back of the pin has "Penalty for misuse 500 dollars or 6 months imprisonment. The badge has been altered - the central pin was removed and another pin was soldered on either side. One side of the alteration obscured the serial number that was on the pin.

The history of the badge can be found on the Veterans Affairs website:
"The Initial CEF issue is a bronze button 14/16 inches (22 mm) in diameter with a screwback fitting; the outside a circle with the words FOR SERVICE AT THE FRONT above and . . + . . below; the centre an enamel Union Jack in the form of a Tudor shield on a pebbled ground; this is surmounted by C.P.F. (Canadian Patriotic Fund); the reverse with stamped serial number. On a subsequent issue of the badge, C.P.F. was replaced with CEF (Canadian Expeditionary Force).
Final CEF Award Criteria
Members of the Canadian Expeditionary Force (CEF) who served at the front and had retired or relinquished their commissions, been honourably discharged, or returned to or retained in Canada on duty.
Members of the Imperial Forces, subject to the same conditions as members of the CEF, provided they were Canadian residents on the 4th day of August, 1914, and had returned to reside in Canada.
Ex-members of the RAF who served only in England were also eligible for the badge if they had been "actively engaged with the enemy whilst on the strength of an operational unit in Great Britain." (National Archives of Canada, RG24, Vol. 1764, File DHS 12-3, "Circular Letter No. 50, October16, 1919. Issue of Class "A" War service Badge Ex-member of the Royal Air Force who served only in England.")" (http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/remembrance/medals-decorations/war-service-badges)

American war medal miniatures

Four miniature American WWI and WWII medals. Came into collection in a donation with Willmina Ferguson's medals, but could not have been awarded to her. No other provenance is known about these medals.

  1. American Silver Cross - first awarded in 1932 for gallantry in action - replaced the silver citation used in WWI.
  2. American WWI Victory medal with silver citation (small star attached to ribbon)
  3. Purple Heart
  4. Battle of Verdun, 1916 [This unofficial medal was "created on 20 November 1916 by the Municipal Council of Verdun to commemorate the heroism of its defenders. Originally intended to be awarded to those who served on the Verdun front between 21 February 1916 and 2 November 1916, the medal was, in fact, awarded to those who served anywhere on the Argonne and St Mihiel sectors between 31 July 1914 and 11 November 1918. The original, and most commonly found, version was by Vernier but since supplies of this medal were inadequate, others created Verdun medals and at least seven versions of varying rarity are known"] www.museumvictoria.com.au

British War Medal, Victory (Inter-allied) War Medal and Mentioned in despatches oak leaf sprays

Two WWI medals attached together on backing board. One is the British War Medal and the other is the Victory (Inter-Allied) War Medal. Also included are 2 oak leaf sprays (one attached to Victory Medal and the other is loose). Awarded to Willmina Ferguson for her service as part of the Canadian Army Medical Corps. Her name and rank is engraved on the bottom edge of both medals. The following information on the medals can be found at the Veterans Affairs website:

British War Medal - A circular, silver medal, 1.42 inches in diameter. Obverse side shows the King George V, bareheaded coinage effigy, facing left, with the legend: GEORGIVS V BRITT : OMN : REX ET IND : IMP :. The reverse side shows a horseman (St. George, naked), armed with a short sword (an allegory of the physical and mental strength which achieves victory over Prussianism). The horse tramples on the Prussian shield and the skull and cross-bones. Just off-centre, near the right upper rim, is the sun of Victory. The dates 1914 and 1918 appear in the left and right fields respectively. It was attached to a watered ribbon is 1.25 inches wide, and consists of seven stripes: blue (0.125 inches), black (0.0625 inches), white (0.125 inches), orange centre (0.625 inches wide), white (0.125 inches), black (0.0325 inches), and blue (0.125 inches).

The medal was awarded to all ranks of Canadian overseas military forces who came from Canada between 05 August 1914 and 11 November 1918, or who had served in a theatre of war. Those who had enlisted in the O.M.F.C. in the United Kingdom and had not served in a theatre of war were not entitled to this medal. The requirements for RAF personnel were the same as for the army. Naval personnel were required to have 28 days of mobilized service or to have lost their lives before this period of service was complete. Seamen of the Canadian Merchant Marine who served at sea not less than six months, and crews of Dominion Government Ships and the Canadian Mercantile Marine were also eligible. There was no bar to this medal. The medal was authorized on 26 July 1919.

The Victory or Inter-Allied War Medal - A circular, copper medal, lacquered bronze, 1.42 inches in diameter. The obverse side shows the winged, full-length, full-front, figure of Victory, with her left arm extended and holding a palm branch in her right hand. The reverse side shows the legend THE GREAT / WAR FOR / CIVILISATION / 1914 - 1919 in four lines, surrounded by a wreath, with dots below the words. The watered ribbon 1.5 inches (39 mm) wide, and consists of nine coloured stripes: violet, blue, green, yellow, red (centre), yellow, green, blue, and violet. Only the Mentioned-in-Despatches multiple-leaved emblem is worn on this medal when it was awarded for WWI.[Willmina Ferguson awarded two - one attached to medal and the other is loose.]

The medal was awarded to all ranks of the fighting forces, to civilians under contract, and others employed with military hospitals who actually served on the establishment of a unit in a theatre of war between 05 August 1914 and 11 November 1918 (inclusive). It was also awarded to members of the British Naval mission to Russia 1919 - 1920 and for mine clearance in the North Sea between 11 November 1918 and 30 November 1919. This medal was never issued alone and was always issued with the British War Medal. The Inter-Allied War Medal was agreed to by all allies in March 1919. All medals were to be almost identical to obviate the need to exchange allied medals and each was patterned after a French medal of 1870. The medal was authorized in Britain (and for Canadians) on 01 September 1919.

British War Medal and Victory (Inter-allied) War Medal

Two WWI medals attached together on backing board. One is the British War Medal and the other is the Victory (Inter-Allied) War Medal. Awarded to Clarissa MacNeill for her service as part of the Canadian Army Medical Corps. Her name and rank is engraved on the bottom edge of both medals. The following information on the medals can be found at the Veterans Affairs website:

British War Medal - A circular, silver medal, 1.42 inches in diameter. Obverse side shows the King George V, bareheaded coinage effigy, facing left, with the legend: GEORGIVS V BRITT : OMN : REX ET IND : IMP :. The reverse side shows a horseman (St. George, naked), armed with a short sword (an allegory of the physical and mental strength which achieves victory over Prussianism). The horse tramples on the Prussian shield and the skull and cross-bones. Just off-centre, near the right upper rim, is the sun of Victory. The dates 1914 and 1918 appear in the left and right fields respectively. It was attached to a watered ribbon is 1.25 inches wide, and consists of seven stripes: blue (0.125 inches), black (0.0625 inches), white (0.125 inches), orange centre (0.625 inches wide), white (0.125 inches), black (0.0325 inches), and blue (0.125 inches).

The medal was awarded to all ranks of Canadian overseas military forces who came from Canada between 05 August 1914 and 11 November 1918, or who had served in a theatre of war. Those who had enlisted in the O.M.F.C. in the United Kingdom and had not served in a theatre of war were not entitled to this medal. The requirements for RAF personnel were the same as for the army. Naval personnel were required to have 28 days of mobilized service or to have lost their lives before this period of service was complete. Seamen of the Canadian Merchant Marine who served at sea not less than six months, and crews of Dominion Government Ships and the Canadian Mercantile Marine were also eligible. There was no bar to this medal. The medal was authorized on 26 July 1919.

The Victory or Inter-Allied War Medal - Victory Medal (Inter-Allied War Medal: A circular, copper medal, lacquered bronze, 1.42 inches in diameter. The obverse side shows the winged, full-length, full-front, figure of Victory, with her left arm extended and holding a palm branch in her right hand. The reverse side shows the legend THE GREAT / WAR FOR / CIVILISATION / 1914 - 1919 in four lines, surrounded by a wreath, with dots below the words. The watered ribbon 1.5 inches (39 mm) wide, and consists of nine coloured stripes: violet, blue, green, yellow, red (centre), yellow, green, blue, and violet. Only the Mentioned-in-Despatches multiple-leaved emblem is worn on this medal when it was awarded for WWI. There were no other bars

The medal was awarded to all ranks of the fighting forces, to civilians under contract, and others employed with military hospitals who actually served on the establishment of a unit in a theatre of war between 05 August 1914 and 11 November 1918 (inclusive). It was also awarded to members of the British Naval mission to Russia 1919 - 1920 and for mine clearance in the North Sea between 11 November 1918 and 30 November 1919. This medal was never issued alone and was always issued with the British War Medal. The Inter-Allied War Medal was agreed to by all allies in March 1919. All medals were to be almost identical to obviate the need to exchange allied medals and each was patterned after a French medal of 1870. The medal was authorized in Britain (and for Canadians) on 01 September 1919.

Uniform shoulder pips (crowns)

Four brass shoulder pips worn by Clarissa MacNeill as part of her uniform. Four pips gives her the rank of Lieutenant (2 on each shoulder epaulet) as a Nurse in the Canadian Army Medical Corps.
The design on the pips "Tria Juncta in Uno" around 3 crowns is taken from the Order of Bath -
"Field grade officers (Major, Lieutenant Colonel, Colonel) first began to wear distinctive rank badges in 1810, with captains and subalterns adopting insignia of their own in 1855. This was the first use of the crown and rank stars. The rank star chosen across the British Army was that of the Order of the Bath, though "Household" regiments wore different patterns of stars. Canadian Guards regiments also inherited this tradition." [www.canadiansoldiers.com]

Identification bracelet

Identification bracelet made from a French coin.
Small chainlink rope made into a bracelet by soldering ends onto a filed down franc. The front of the coin features a woman (The Sower, designed by Oscar Roty in 1900). The verse side was smoothed to allow for etching "Clara MacNeill C.A.M.C. 1916-1917, 1918-1919".

Arrow collar

Starched white cotton collar. Arrow brand, it is the Anemone, size 14.2. Collar worn by Wellesley graduate, class of 1925, and Nursing Director Elsie K. Jones. She was the Director of Nursing and Director of the School of Nursing between 1937-1964.

Cluett Peabody & Co. Limited

Resultaten 1 tot 100 van 13358