Title and statement of responsibility area
Kodak Retina Ia
General material designation
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[manufactured between 1951 and 1954] (Creation)
- Kodak A.G.
Physical description area
1 piece of photographic equipment : camera ; approx. 8 x 12.3 x 8.5 cm (open)
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Kodak AG is the German branch of the Kodak company. It originated at the end of the 19th century as German branch of Kodak in Berlin, named Eastman Kodak GmbH
Later, in the 20th century, the German Kodak branch became listed at the German stock market, and it bought the independent camera maker Nagel, and its founder Dr. August Nagel became general director of the company when it was bought by Eastman Kodak Company on December 1, 1931. Kodak A.G. Dr. Nagel Werk developed its own line of products including the Kodak Retina Camera. The first Retina camera (Type 117) was introduced in the summer of 1934 along with a new 35mm film Daylight Loading Cartridge (DLC). Dr. August Nagel held the German patent for this new 35mm DLC. This 35mm Daylight Loading Cartridge was designed for the Kodak Retina camera and was also designed to retrofit into existing Leica and Contax cameras. Nagel's son Helmut Nagel led the company after the war.
Scope and content
Item consists of a Kodak Retina Ia. It is a folding camera that uses 35mm film and was manufactured by Kodak AG in Germany from 1951-1954. It is a revision of the Kodak Retina I, featuring a rapid winding lever and a film glide roller on the back door. It has an optical viewfinder, no rangefinder, a synchro-compur M-X flash synch, and a Schneider-Kreuznach Retina-Xenar f:3.5/50mm lens. It was later superseded by the Kodak Retina Ib in 1954.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Item is from the PPCM donation, accession number 2013.002. Moved to the Heritage Camera Collection in 2013.