single built works (built environment)
- Single structures in the built environment.
- Getty Art & Architecture Thesaurus
single built works (built environment)
single built works (built environment)
357 Archival description results for single built works (built environment)
- F 614
Fonds consists of one study and one book published by Habitechnica, in which Kesik was the principal.
- [May] 1996
Photographs of the exterior of a building under construction, and two interior views looking out through the steel support beams, designed with 3 cubes balanced on their points on a rectangular concrete base. The idea was licensed from Dutch architect Piet Blom by Toronto entrepreneur Ben Kutner. Designed from prefabricated steel and glass, the houses were supposed to take advantage of otherwise unusable property space in Toronto like laneways and rooftops. The house has since been abandoned and the cubes are used for commercial signage.
- [ca. 1965]
Item is a negative featuring an image of three women and a man sitting on the stairs of a front porch.
Kodak Canada Inc.
- [November] 1985
Illustration of a bridge, with various other sketches of bridges around the borders of the image and the text: "(Colour illustration from the cover of the forthcoming issue of Architectural Monographs: 5 Michael Graves.)" The original drawing is graphite and crayon on yellow paper, done in 1978, in the collection of the Museum of Modern Art in New York. The bridge was designed as a replacement for a vehicular bridge spanning the Red River, connecting Minnesota and North Dakota.
Photograph of the rear garden area of an unknown residential building near Dundas and Sherbourne Streets in Toronto. A paved walkway separates the building from the rear entrances to neighbouring homes and apartments.
- [after 1904]
Cyanotype image of a house and store that are one shared building. Store has a white awning with the lettering "W.C. White" written on it. Inscription handwritten in black ink on recto "Opposition Store & Dwelling." Town not identified. Paper very thin. Dated 1904 because same handwriting on 2008.001.1881.
- [February] 1987
Small photograph adhered to clear plastic showing exterior of a skyscraper, sometimes referred to as the "Inside-Out Building" because many of its pipes and conduits are exterior to the building. The building was the topic of a critique of office buildings with exposed structures in the February 1987 issue of Canadian Architect magazine titled "Exposing High Tech". The Llyod's building is sometimes
- [November] 1987
Skyscraper office building located at 121 Bloor Street East in Toronto. The building was completed in 1982, and this image was published in the November 1987 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
- [July] 1981, [August] 1987
Interior views of a remodelled 3-storey, semi-detached Victorian home, showing hallways with transom windows, stairwells, kitchen banquettes, shower stalls, and one exterior view of a Juliet balcony.
- [November] 1984
Photograph of a model design proposed for the redevelopment of the old stock exchange building. The design included a tower with 13 storeys of office space and 11 storeys of condominiums. The design was never implemented, and instead the Ernst & Yonge Tower was constructed on the site.
- [May] 1985
Exterior views of the mid-rise condominium complex in the St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood, with central courtyard and street-level shopping arcade. One interior view of shopping concourse and one aerial view of area prior to development.
- [October] 1987
Interior and exterior views of a house renovation. The tall Victorian home was clad in grey shingle and pale wood, and the interior space was opened up and rounded statement walls painted green complement exposed metal piping. Views of dining room, kitchen, living area, bathroom and bedroom.
- [November] 1986
Illustrations of the office building at 95 Wellington Street West, and one photograph of the site plan. Stamp on verso of photographs gives the architectural firm as Pellow Architect. The building is part of the Toronto-Dominion Centre complex in downtown Toronto.
- [November] 1984; [July] 1986
1 photograph of the exterior of the office building and another of the interior lobby area. The interior view has been cut and adhered to a clear plastic backing, and bears the photographer's stamp for Applied Photography Ltd.
Applied Photography Ltd.
- [December] 1985
Award of Excellence CA Magazine December 1985
The complex consists of a 356 room hotel with restaurant and a convention facilities, retail stores, offices,apartments, and recreational and social amenities.
- [October] 1986
Construction of the original skytrain line began on March 1, 1982 under the Social Credit government of Bill Bennett,who inaugurated the system at Waterfront Station. SkyTrain was conceived as a legacy project of Expo 86 and the first line was finished in 1985 in time to showcase the fair's theme: "Transportation and Communication: World in Motion ? World in Touch".SkyTrain opened on December 11, 1985 with free weekend service, and entered full revenue service on January 3, 1986.Commuter station; part of Greater Vancouver's Advanced Light Rapid Transit system. Article published in Canadian Architect magazine also contains photos., secns., site plan, dets., sketches.
Perspective 5 photography & design Ltd
- [February] 1989
This building features western Red Cedar as its main material and reveals it's flexibility. In the Blackcomb style, this material is extremely durable and can withstand the variable conditions of the mountain.
- [May] 1987
1 photograph of Quayside Terrace in New Westminster, British Columbia. The building was awarded 1986 New Westminster Building of the Year.
Lantern slide, wood frame with glass positive B & W slide - image framed in black and gold. Sticker on bottom of frame with handwritten in ink "Baden-Baden Germany." and handwritten in pencil directly on wood "Germany." Sticker on actual slide that says "Panorama of Baden-Baden, Germany." Image is of a bridge in foreground with a river and town in background in mountains.
- [ca. 2003]
Project binder describing the construction of Minton Hill House, a private residence for a single occupant in Quebec's Eastern Townships. The binder contains information on the architect, client, and consultants as well as a brief description of the landscape and the design influences. Floorplans and elevations are included as well as photographs of the finished residence.
Affleck + de la Riva Architects
- [ca. 1971]
Canadian Housing Design Council Award Winner 1971
"A small house which is carefully screened from street traffic by the retention of trees. Multi-levels and open planning add interest. A good lesson in planning particularly in regard to space and light." Owners; Mr & Mrs R. Dodson.
- [ca. 1971]
Canadian Housing Design Council Winner, Award for Residential Design 1971. " An outstanding example of how a simple design ('L" shape) can be set to achieve maximum privacy and capture the joys of site and sun".
Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971. Extract from jury report: "... materials and form relate sympathetically to the tall trees retained on the site... a sensitive siting and solution for a house which makes the most of the natural amentities of forest and stream".
Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971. Owners: Mr. & MRS. B.C. Cobanli. Extract from jury report: " An exelent open-planned house... sky lights allow light to flood into rooms; cosy alcoves and depressed floors offset wide open speces".
Winner of Award for Residential Design 1971. Owner: Mr. & Mrs. HP Brasso. Extract from jury report: "A large house on a magnificent site... the planning, materials and form are well used to support the grand nature of the interior spaces and vistas to the sea".
- (ca. 1965)
Verso: This attractive residence, owned by Dr. and Mrs. Douglas Barnett of Burnaby BC, earned an Award of Excellence for its designers Fred Thornton Hollingsworth and Barry Vance Downs in the recently concluded Canadian Wood Design Awards program of 1965. According to the judges, "traditional West Coast Materials, in the form of rough cedar boards, with carefully selected finishes, have provided an elegant and empathetic dwelling." The awards program was sponsored by the National Design Council and the Federal Department of Industry in association with the Canadian Wood council.
- [January] 1965
Credit photograph to Fred S. Schiffer, Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society.
The architect was inspired by the Japanese style SUKIYA, which means to bring harmony to a composition of disparate materials found in the rough.
Schiffer, Fred S.
- [January] 1971
Folder contains 4 b&w photographs of the Dalby residence in Vancouver, B.C. This water front home was built on a rock ledge to avoid disturbing the natrual gorwth and to necessitate little rock blasting. The architect was Fred Thornton Hollingsworth.
- [January] 1965
Folder contains 6 black and white photographic prints of the Danto Residence. The concept of the Danto house was a grand staircase-- a series of terraces following the slope of the site. Architect was Arthur Erikson.
Schiffer, Fred S.
- (ca. June 1980)
Folder consists of 5 b&w photographic prints of the Era Townhouses in Vancouver, B.C. The architecture firm on the project was Hawthorn Mansfield Towers Architects of Vancouver. The owner of the townhouses project was Werner Kahn. The project received an honour award from Canadian Architect magazine in June 1980.
- [ca. 1959]
Filberg House is an ethereal, glass-walled pavilion with undulating 14-foot ceilings and views that stretch across mountains, water and a seemingly infinite sky. The residence, hailed in a 1961 issue of Canadian Homes magazine as ''the most fabulous house in Canada,'' was an important early project of Arthur Erickson, the globe-trotting Vancouver architect whose recent work includes the Museum of Glass that opened last July in Tacoma, Wash.
- [June] 1980
File consists of 1 b&w photograph of the Forbes Residence in Vancouver, B.C. Architect was James K.M. Cheng. Appears to have been used in the June 1980 issue of Canadian Architect magazine.
- [February] 1965
Folder contains 3 b&w photographic prints of the Forrest Residence in Vancouver, B.C. The residence was designed by Thompson, Berwick, Pratt & Partners, Architects Engineers Planners. In a website pertaining to the photographer Selwyn Pullan, it features the architecture of numerous west-coast architects."His shot of Ron Thompson Forrest residence in West Vancouver makes it look like a living creature about to spring into the sky."
"As a body of work, his photos of Vancouver's modern architectural movement are a one-of-a-kind treasure trove, the primary photographic history of the heyday of Vancouver modernism."
- [May] 1972
This dense 100 unit public housing project will provide for single parent families and low income larger families. The idea is to integrate families with similar needs and life styles and to help to minimize stresses associated with public housing.
CA Magazine May 1972
- [July] 1966
Folder contains 6 b&w photographs of the Graham Residence in West Vancouver, B.C. featured in CA Magazine July 1966. Architect was Arthur Erikson. The architectural marvel that Arthur Erickson has credited with kick-starting his career is in danger of being torn down. "The David Graham house in 1963 launched my reputation as the architect you went to when you had an impossible site, Erickson is quoted as saying in 1988's The Architecture of Arthur Erickson."
- [September] 1970
Folder contains 3 b&w photographs of the Smith Residence in South Delta, B.C. The architect was John Kay who is known for his organic architecture. Photographs are from CA Magazine September 1970.
- [ca. 1908]
Hotel Europe is a six-story heritage building located at 43 Powell Street (at Alexander) in the Gastown area of Vancouver, British Columbia. The building was commissioned by hotelier Angelo Calori and built in 1908 - 1909 by Parr and Fee Architects. Situated on a triangular lot, the building is designed in the flatiron style. It was the first reinforced concrete structure to be built in Canada and the earliest fireproof hotel in Western Canada. Contractors had to be brought in from Cincinnati, Ohio for the necessary expertise; the Ferro-Concrete Construction Company began this project six years after constructing the first tall concrete building in the world.
With funding from the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation, the building was renovated in 1983 as affordable housing with A. Ingre and Associates as the project designers. The residential units are now managed by the Affordable Housing Society. A beer parlour formerly existed below the ground floor, which included areaways extending underneath the above sidewalks. To prevent a cave-in from the weight of pedestrians and above ground traffic, the City of Vancouver filled the areaway in with pea gravel at a cost of $215,000, which presumably can be easily removed in the event of future restoration.
The Hotel Europe was one of the filming location for the suspense movie The Changeling. In it, the building houses the Seattle Historical Society, but the hotel sign can be seen on the right side facade of the building in some takes. Some scenes are set on its spectacular roof terrace.
Folder contains 1 b&w photograph of the National design award 1964 winner from the Canadian Housing Design Council. Caption on verso: "A splendid plan which takes advantage of a fine site. Circulation within the house is very good and the outside areas are practically and attractively handled." The architects were Hartley Barnes & Arajs of Kelowna, B.C. The builder as M. Ulansky of Kelowna, B.C.
Century 21 Photographers Ltd.
- [October] 1964
Folder contains 7 b&w photographs of the Lloyd Residence, Vancouver, B.C. The tightly planned house of 1,120 square feet was designed for private outdoor living on a standard city lot. Large individual rooms were made possible by placing hall-ways with a small central passage core. A large wooden deck opens off the living room overlooking the main front garden and reflecting pool. Architecture firm responsible for the project was Erikson/Massey Architects of Vancouver, B.C. Each of the photographs contains a caption with information about the residence.
- [October] 1977
Recipient of the 1970-71 Design in Steel Award from the American Iron and Steel Institute.
This building was portrayed as the "Phoenix Foundation" in the TV series, MacGyver.
Fully renovated in 1990.
This building was built from the top down. The core was built first then steel was hung from cables at the top and floors were added all the way down. The first floor starts at the fourth level. Over the years the cables have stretched so that today a pencil might roll off your desk if you're not paying attention.
Converting to 180 condominiums by mid-2005.
Known as the Westcoast Transmission Building from 1969-2000 and Duke Energy Building from 2000-2004.
Address was changed from 1333 to 1383 West Georgia in 2005 following conversion to condos.
- [May] 1978
Photographs of exterior of condominium apartments located at 1855 Nelson street in Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Sept 1971
6 black and white photographs of the exterior of the residence of Herwig Pimiskern located in Whistler, British Columbia.
- [November] 1964
5 black and white images of the photographic studio of professional photographer Selwyn Pullan in West Vancouver, British Columbia.
- [ca. 1968]
Folder contains 2 b&w photographs of the Currie residence in Claremont, Ontario. Detail view of upper storey windows, clad in cedar shingling. Exterior view of backyard during winter, brick chimney and cedar shingling visible.
- [May] 1963
Interior views of a townhouse designed by Jerome Markson (owner & architect), showing living room with fireplace and wood panneled ceiling, and exterior views of brick patio in the rear of the house.
Canadian Housing Design Council Award for Residential Design 1971. Extract from jury report: "Subtle and beautifully proportioned forms and openings frame the views and the sense of exhilaration is heighened by cantilevered spaces and decks". Owners: Mr & Mrs David Catton.
Mounted image of bridge over river in Amsterdam. Inscription in black ink beneath photograph reads, 'Amsterdam, eglise St. Francois Xavier & pont sur le canal'. Inscription in pencil on back of mount reads, '$20'
Item consists of an album with a black leather cover with the word Photographs embossed on the front in gold; bound with black string. Labels adhered to cover read "Jack's own snaps taken while at OAC & Summer trips North & to England 1939-1941" and "#10". Pages are black with labels handwritten in white ink. Black photo corners are used to hold the photographs. Many pages remain blank, appearing to have never had photographs attached. Some photographs are coming off pages.
Photographs are of from Jack's summer trips to England and while he was at OAC. They are amateur snapshots taken at various camps and lakes in Ontario. Canadian locations include Long Lac, Quebec Bridge and Belle Isle; sports, parades and other events in and around Toronto; Niagara Falls, New York; Hamilton and Bellville Ontario. British locations include Salisbury, Cardiff, London, Bristol, Edinburghand Glasgow.
Notable themes include early telescopes and cameras; portraits, Queenston Power Development, The Manchester Citizen [ship], Blenheim Bombers, Kenilworth Castle, Changing of the Guards, Big Ben, The Crown Jewels and Buckingham Palace, Napoleon's Tomb, the Eiffel Tower, the English Channel.
Additional material includes one "Vote Nixon" card attached to a page.
Dates include: spring 1937, spring 1939.
- ca. 1890
Item consists of a grey card with textured surface. Photograph of a group of 5 men and 5 women gathered around and climbing on a fallen tree. Two on the right holding a saw and an axe, pretending to cut the tree. In the background, tents and trees. On verso, handwritten in pencil, "20".
- ca. 1890
Item consists of a brown card with textured surface. Photograph of a group of 5 men and 5 women gathered around and climbing on a fallen tree. Two on the right holding a saw and an axe, pretending to cut the tree. In the background, tents and trees. On verso, handwritten in pencil, "20".
- ca. 1905
Item consists of a brown textured card with photograph of two men in a open-topped car on a dirt road in front of a wooden house with high front steps. Two women wait at the side of the road by the steps to the house.