Title and statement of responsibility area
Victoria, Dominion Astrophysical Observatory
General material designation
- Graphic material
Other title information
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
[ca. 1970] (Creation)
- Fulker, John
Physical description area
1 photograph : b&w
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Scope and content
Completed in 1918, by the Canadian Government this observatory was proposed and designed by John S. Plaskett in 1910 with the support of the International Union for Cooperation in Solar Research, when the 72-inch aperture telescope was constructed, it was planned to be the largest telescope in the world but delays meant it saw first light after the Hooker 100-inch telescope.
The Centre of the Universe is the public interpretive centre for the observatory. The centre features interactive exhibits about astronomy, the work of the observatory and its parent organization, the NRC Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics. There are also tours of the telescope and programs in the planetarium and video theatre.
The folder consists of one b&w photograph of the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory. On verso: "new housing for 16in. telescope operated by Dominion Astrophysical Observatory on top of Little Saanich Mountain near Victoria, B.C. is constructed of fir plywood structural assemblies. Architect was James Langford, Chief Architect with Department of Public Works, while Roger Kemble of Kemble-Webber Architects, Vancouver, was the consultant. Johnson Construction Ltd., of Victoria, were the general contractors.
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Digital image is available.
Restrictions on access
Open. Records are available for consultation without restriction.
Digital copies only. Original records are not accessible/viewable using the equipment in the reading room. Digital copies may be viewed onsite.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Photographer: John Fulker
Verso: stamp of Plywood Manufacturers Association.
Stamp on verso: Plywood Manufacturers Association of British Colombia, Vancouver, B.C.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
- Canadian Architect (Subject)
- James Langford (Subject)