G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education


Soort entiteit

University Name

Geauthoriseerde naam

G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education

Parallelle vormen van de naam

  • School of Continuing Education, The Chang School

Gestandaardiseerde naamvorm(en) volgens andere regels.

Aandere naamsvormen

Identificatiecode voor organisaties





Continuing Education has been at Ryerson since the school was opened in 1948. Below is a rough timeline of significant events in the School's history:
1948: Extension Classes at The Evening School Program

1964: Bert Parsons, Director of Extension
Correspondence course in public administration – extension of night school course for civil servants

1971: Began receiving funding from the provincial government
Ben Celliers, Director of Extension

1972: Management Development Institute created.

1974: Ryerson integrating evening and day education under one academic umbrella
Name change from Extension Department to Evening Studies Department

1975: Report on part-time studies recommended that Evening Studies division replace the Evening Studies Department and that an Evening
Studies Council be created

1976: Ken MacKeracher, Dean of Evening Studies
Academic Council approved bylaws for creation of Evening Studies Divisional Council
Evening classes academic terms aligned with day terms

1977: Evening Studies Division moved to Jorgenson Hall/Learning Centre complex
Evening Studies became Continuing Education Division (headed by a Dean)
Continuing Education Division moved to lower ground floor of Learning Resources Centre from East Kerr Hall
First mention of Continuing Education administering Management Development Institute (which was established in 1972)
The first Dean of Continuing Education was Ken MacKeracher
First graduate in the Continuing Education division

1978: Continuing Education students able to appeal grades for non-credit courses
Occupational Health and Safety is first certificate program proposal in Continuing Ed to be presented to Academic Council
Continuing Education students’ caucus proposed and approved by Board of Governors
The Night Student News newsletter started

1979: Continuing Education Student Association referendum approved by CE students
Academic Council approved interdisciplinary certificate program in gerontology (offered through CED)
Academic Council approved policies/procedures for development of future part-time diploma/degree programs

1980: CE Division gained equal representation with day education on Academic Council

1981: CE certificate status disputed for certificate programs not sanctioned by Academic Council
1982: CE and promotion departments merged

1983: Milton Orris, Dean of Continuing Education

1987: 50 certificate programs offered by CE

1989: CE office moved from 111 Gerrard St. to 252 Victoria St
Ryerson CE Division, Durham College, York University, Trent University partner to allow students to transfer between schools

1994: CE moving from 21 Dundas Square to 415 Yonge

1995: Photo ID available to CED students
Marilynn Booth, Dean of CE

1996: Centre for Research on Lifelong Learning opened
Ryerson ends its partnership with Durham College

1998: CE advertised on television for first time

2000: CE moves to Heaslip House - 297 Victoria Street.

2003: G. Raymond Chang gave $5 million for new CE building; rename: G. Raymond Chang School of Continuing Education (GRCSCE)

2004: GRCSCE gets new logo

2007: Distance education program in nursing partnership between University of the West Indies and GRCSCE



Functies, beroepen en activiteiten

Mandaat/bronnen van bevoegdheid

Interne structuren / genealogie

Algemene context


Access points area

Onderwerp trefwoord

Geografische trefwoorden



Authority record identifier

Identificatiecode van de instelling

Toegepaste regels en/of conventies


Niveau van detaillering

Datering van aanmaak, herziening of verwijdering

Taal (talen)




  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places